Commutators of Angular momentum operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations involving the commutation of operators [x, px] and [Lz, px], as well as the placement of py in the equations. It also questions the use of i(hbar) in the calculation and why it is not multiplied by i/(hbar) to compensate for the changes made for convenience. The expert responds by stating that [x, px] is not 0 even though they commute, and the placement of py on the left is not significant. They also mention that multiplying by i(hbar) is necessary and it should be one of the first things learned in quantum mechanics.
jaobyccdee
The letters next to p and L should be subscripts.
[Lz, px] = [xpy − ypx, px] = [xpy, px] − [ypx, px] = py[x, px] −0 = i(hbar)py

1.In this calculation, why is [x, px] not 0 even they commute?

2.Why is py put on the left instead of the right in the second last step? i thought it should be put on the right bec it's on the right of x in the third step, and we have to keep the orders for operators.

3.With L=rxp, why are we multiplying i(hbar) instead of multiplying by i/ (hbar), coz at the beginning, we change all the d/dx or d/dy or d/dz to px, py, pz, why aren't we multiplying i/(hbar) to compensate what we change for convenient calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think [itex][x,p_x]=0[/itex]? That should be one of the first things you learned about QM.

Your [itex]p_y[/itex] should be to the right, yes, but inevitably it doesn't matter considering [itex][x,p_x][/itex] is equal to a constant.

As for why you multiply by [itex]i\hbar[/itex], what do you mean "at the beginning"?

Related to Commutators of Angular momentum operator

What is the definition of a commutator of angular momentum operator?

A commutator of angular momentum operator is a mathematical quantity that describes the relationship between two angular momentum operators. It is given by the formula [A, B] = AB - BA, where A and B are angular momentum operators.

What is the physical significance of a commutator of angular momentum operator?

The commutator of angular momentum operator is important in quantum mechanics as it describes the fundamental uncertainty in measuring two angular momentum operators simultaneously. It also determines the compatibility of two operators and whether they can be measured simultaneously.

How does the commutator of angular momentum operator behave under rotation?

The commutator of angular momentum operator remains invariant under rotations, meaning that it has the same value in all inertial reference frames. This is consistent with the principle of relativity in physics.

What are the properties of a commutator of angular momentum operator?

The properties of a commutator of angular momentum operator include linearity, skew-symmetry, and the Jacobi identity. It also has the property that if the commutator equals zero, the two operators commute, meaning they have a common set of eigenfunctions.

How is the commutator of angular momentum operator used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the commutator of angular momentum operator is used to determine the uncertainty in measuring two angular momentum operators simultaneously. It is also used to derive equations of motion and to solve problems related to the conservation of angular momentum.