Commutator vector product

In summary, the expression of [\vec{p}^2, \vec{p} \times \vec{L}] being equal to zero requires understanding it as an element-wise statement and can be proven using symbolic expressions. However, it is not a simple or difficult proof and may require some component-wise work.
LagrangeEuler
Is there some easy way to see that
[tex][\vec{p}^2, \vec{p} \times \vec{L}][/tex] is equal zero? I use component method and got that.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the expression mean? In linear algebra commutators take operators as inputs, but in the above the inputs are not operators. The first appears to be a scalar (assuming ##\vec p^2## means the dot product of ##\vec p## with itself) and the second a pseudovector.

Commutators are also defined for the binary operation of any group, but if that is the intention above, it is not clear what the group or the operation is.

andrewkirk said:
What does the expression mean? In linear algebra commutators take operators as inputs, but in the above the inputs are not operators.
It is supposed to be understood as element-wise statement, that is
$$
[\mathbf p^2,(\mathbf p\times \mathbf L)_i] = 0
$$
for ##i=1,2,3##.
LagrangeEuler said:
Is there some easy way to see
You can work on it using symbolic expressions but IMO it's not too simple nor too difficult either, in fact it is also component-wise proof
$$
[p^ip^i, \epsilon_{mjk} p^j L^k] = \epsilon_{mjk} \left( p^i[p^i,p^j]L^k + [p^i, p^j]p^iL^k + p^jp^i[p^i, L^k] + p^j[p^i,L^k]p^i \right) \\
= \epsilon_{mjk} \left( 0 + 0 + p^jp^ip^l (-i\hbar \epsilon_{kil}) + p^j p^l p^i (-i\hbar \epsilon_{kil}) \right) = -i\hbar \epsilon_{kil} \epsilon_{kmj} \left( p^jp^ip^l + p^j p^l p^i \right)\\
= -i\hbar (\delta^m_i\delta^j_l - \delta^j_i\delta^m_l) \left( p^jp^ip^l + p^j p^l p^i \right) = 0
$$
The first equality results from using commutator identity for ##[AB,CD]## and the last one leading to zero final answer can be easily proved by expanding the expression to the left of the last equal sign.

Related to Commutator vector product

1. What is the commutator vector product?

The commutator vector product is a mathematical operation that involves taking the cross product of two vectors and then rotating that result by 90 degrees. It is often used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of a system.

2. How is the commutator vector product calculated?

To calculate the commutator vector product, you first take the cross product of two vectors (A x B). Then, you take the cross product of the first vector and the result of the first cross product (A x (A x B)). Finally, you subtract the second cross product from the first (A x (A x B)) - (A x B).

3. What is the significance of the commutator vector product?

The commutator vector product is significant in quantum mechanics because it is used to calculate the uncertainty in the angular momentum of a particle. It also plays a role in determining the behavior of particles in magnetic fields.

4. Can the commutator vector product be applied to any two vectors?

No, the commutator vector product is only defined for vectors that represent physical quantities such as angular momentum or velocity. It cannot be applied to arbitrary vectors.

5. How does the commutator vector product relate to other mathematical operations?

The commutator vector product is related to other mathematical operations such as the cross product and the dot product. It is also related to the Lie bracket, a mathematical operation used in the study of groups and Lie algebras.