Commutator of p and x/r: Elegant Derivation in Position Basis

• I
  • Thread starter VKint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the question discussed in this thread is how to factorize the hydrogen atom Hamiltonian. In the process of answering, the commutator [p_k, x_k/r] was brought up, where r = (x_1 + x_2 + x_3)^1/2 and p_k is the momentum operator conjugate to x_k. It was shown that this commutator is equal to -i*hbar*(1/r - x_k^2/r^3) in the position basis. The question was then posed if there is a more elegant way to derive this commutator, independent of basis. A useful relation was also mentioned, where if [A,B]=C and [A,C]=[B
VKint
This question came up in this thread: <https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ydrogen-atom-hamiltonian.933842/#post-5898454>

In the course of answering the OP's question, I came across the commutator
$$ \left[ p_k, \frac{x_k}{r} \right] $$
where ##r = (x_1 + x_2 + x_3)^{1/2}## and ##p_k## is the momentum operator conjugate to ##x_k##. It's easy to show that the commutator is
$$ -i \hbar \left( \frac{1}{r} - \frac{x_k^2}{r^3} \right) $$
by working in the position basis. My question is: Is there a more elegant way (i.e., independent of basis) of deriving this commutator?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that some squares are missing in the definition of r.

apart from that, a useful relation can be used

if ##[A,B]=C## and ##[A,C]=[B,C]=0## then
$$[A,f(B)]=f'(B).C$$

This can be proven from filling in the series expansion of f.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes yamata1
Yeah, it seems I typed out the question a bit too quickly :P

Thanks!

Likes thephystudent

Related to Commutator of p and x/r: Elegant Derivation in Position Basis

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to calculate the difference between two operators.

2. How is the commutator of p and x/r derived?

The commutator of p and x/r can be derived using the position basis, where the operators p and x/r are represented by differential operators. The commutator is then obtained by taking the difference between these two operators and applying the position basis to the result.

3. What is the significance of the commutator in quantum mechanics?

The commutator is an important tool in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand the relationship between two operators and their corresponding physical observables. It also plays a crucial role in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. Can the commutator of p and x/r be derived in other bases?

Yes, the commutator can also be derived in other bases such as the momentum basis or the energy basis. However, the position basis is often preferred as it provides a more intuitive understanding of the operators.

5. How is the elegant derivation of the commutator of p and x/r beneficial?

The elegant derivation of the commutator in the position basis provides a clear and concise understanding of the relationship between the two operators. It also allows for easier application of the commutator in solving problems in quantum mechanics.