Commutator notation in classical field theory

In summary, the term "homework statement" refers to the equations that govern the behavior of fields in a given space. The equations are trival and follow trivially from the field strength tensor, F^{\mu \nu}.
paco_uk

Homework Statement

Could someone please explain what is meant by the term:

[itex]\partial_{[ \mu}F_{\nu \rho ]} [/itex]

Homework Equations

I have come across this in the context of Maxwells equations where [tex]F^{\mu \nu}[/tex] is the field strength tensor and apparently:

[tex]\partial_{[ \mu}F_{\nu \rho ]} =0[/tex]

follows "trivially" from

[tex] F_{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what the notation means and I haven't found it defined anywhere. Do all three indices get permuted somehow?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would you please fix your latex tags?
They should be [ tex ]...[ /tex ] (that is: forward slash, but no spaces within the tag).

You'll see that your equation will look "strange" then.
Could you perhaps fix that as well?

Sorry about the mess. I've cleared up the latex tags. What's there now does indeed look strange to me but is what is written in the lecture notes. I don't know what the commutator bracket round the subscripts means.

paco_uk said:
I don't understand what the notation means and I haven't found it defined anywhere. Do all three indices get permuted somehow?

Yes. This is the antisymmetrizing operation. A good explanation is given in Prof. Maloney's notes and lecture recordings. It's also found in many good reference books on GR and differential geometry.

http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/~maloney/514/

Here is a PDF of the relevant lecture notes, but it's helpful to listen to the lectures if you have time.

Attachments

• 514-5.pdf
    114.2 KB · Views: 297
The notation makes sense, if you learn about differential forms on the space-time manifold. The F is then a 2-form, and dF =0 is a consequence of the 2-nd degree nilpotency of the exterior differential.

Thanks very much. I've never done a course on General Relativity so I'm pretty shaky on all this. I look forward to listening to the lectures.

Related to Commutator notation in classical field theory

1. What is commutator notation in classical field theory?

Commutator notation is a mathematical tool used to describe the behavior of fields in classical field theory. It involves using commutators, which are mathematical operators that represent the difference between two quantities, to characterize how fields change and interact with each other.

2. How is commutator notation used in classical field theory?

In classical field theory, commutator notation is used to express the equations of motion for fields. By taking the commutator of the field with its conjugate momentum, the equations of motion can be written in a compact and elegant form, making it easier to study the dynamics of the fields.

3. What are the benefits of using commutator notation in classical field theory?

One of the main benefits of using commutator notation in classical field theory is that it simplifies the equations of motion for fields, making them easier to analyze and solve. It also allows for a more concise and systematic approach to studying the dynamics of fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using commutator notation in classical field theory?

While commutator notation is a useful tool in classical field theory, it is not always applicable to all physical systems. In situations where there are non-commuting operators or non-linear equations of motion, commutator notation may not be as effective in describing the behavior of fields.

5. How does commutator notation relate to other mathematical tools used in classical field theory?

Commutator notation is closely related to other mathematical tools used in classical field theory, such as Poisson brackets and Hamiltonian mechanics. These tools all serve to describe the dynamics of fields and their interactions, but they each have their own unique approach and limitations.