Community College lecturer with foreign masters?

In summary, it is possible to teach community college physics in the US with a foreign (UK) master's in physics. However, the hiring process may require 18 graduate credit hours in physics, which may pose a challenge for those with foreign credit. It is also suggested to have practical experience in the industry in order to have a better chance at being hired.
Hercuflea
Is it possible to teach community college physics in the US with a foreign (UK) master's in physics? I know they require 18 graduate credit hours of physics, but will they accept foreign credit especially since they don't use credit hours and the course titles might be different?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think having the MS in Physics will work.

Here's the hiring page from our local college:

http://www.austincc.edu/employment-at-acc/the-hiring-process

I had applied once without the MS in physics (I had one in CS). I got an interview, taught a demo class and aced it but got rejected because I had 17 grad credit hours in physics. However they said get that extra one and we'll let you teach. I did but circumstances changed when I started work as a staff software developer at a local university and then got too busy to teach.

Did you ever go into teaching? Do you think you get bottlenecked into doing only that since it doesn't give you industry experience?

Related to Community College lecturer with foreign masters?

1. What qualifications are required to become a community college lecturer with a foreign masters?

To become a community college lecturer with a foreign masters, you typically need a master's degree in the subject you wish to teach, as well as relevant teaching experience. Some community colleges may also require a teaching certification.

2. How do community college lecturers with foreign masters differ from those with domestic masters?

The main difference between community college lecturers with foreign masters and those with domestic masters is their educational background. While both have a master's degree, the content and curriculum of their degrees may vary depending on the country in which they obtained their masters.

3. Are community college lecturers with foreign masters able to teach a variety of subjects?

Yes, community college lecturers with foreign masters are generally able to teach a variety of subjects, just like those with domestic masters. However, it ultimately depends on the specific qualifications and expertise of the lecturer.

4. Do community college lecturers with foreign masters face any challenges in the classroom?

As with any teaching position, community college lecturers with foreign masters may face challenges in the classroom, such as language barriers or cultural differences. However, these challenges can also bring a unique perspective and diversity to the classroom.

5. Can community college lecturers with foreign masters teach at universities?

It is possible for community college lecturers with foreign masters to teach at universities, but it may depend on the requirements and regulations of the specific university. Some universities may require a higher level of education or prior teaching experience, while others may have a more flexible hiring process.