Energy Transferred When Punching - How Much Force?

• Thread starter Nim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discussed the amount of energy transferred during a punch and the varying numbers reported by different sources. The equation E = 1/2mv^2 was mentioned as a way to calculate the energy, and it was suggested that measuring the speed of a punching bag after being hit could provide an estimate.
Nim
Anyone have an idea of how much energy is transferred to someone or something when someone punches them or it? I know this can vary a lot, but does anyone have any numbers? I came across one website that said something like the "average force of a focused Sieken (punch)" delivers 700 foot-pounds, whatever a Sieken punch is, I don't know. I came across another website that talked about some people who recorded the energy delivered to a punching bag by their boxing team. I wasn't familier with the units though, I think it was "1,064 pound impulses" from one of their guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be easy to measure, or estimate if you're familair with some common equipment. First, remember that
[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
Now, assume a punching bag of mass m hanging motionless being hit with a punch (and I'm thinking of one of those big cylindrical sand filled punching bags, not the small teardrop shaped ones). How fast is the bag moving after it's hit with a punch? That's all you need to know.

Last edited:

1. How is energy transferred when punching?

When punching, energy is transferred from your body to the target object through the force of your punch. This force is generated by the muscles in your arms and the kinetic energy of your moving fist.

2. How is the amount of energy transferred measured?

The amount of energy transferred when punching is measured in joules (J). This is a unit of energy that takes into account both the force and the distance over which the force is applied.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy transferred when punching?

The amount of energy transferred when punching can be affected by factors such as the speed of the punch, the weight of the object being punched, and the type of surface the punch lands on. Additionally, the technique and strength of the puncher can also impact the amount of energy transferred.

4. Is all of the energy from a punch transferred to the target?

No, not all of the energy from a punch is transferred to the target. Some energy is lost through factors such as air resistance and the deformation of the target object upon impact. This is why a punch may feel less powerful when hitting a soft or squishy surface compared to a solid one.

5. How does energy transfer during a punch impact the puncher's body?

The energy transfer during a punch can impact the puncher's body in a few ways. Firstly, the force of the punch can cause strain and potential injury to the puncher's muscles and joints. Secondly, the impact of the punch can also cause some of the energy to transfer back to the puncher's body, resulting in a recoil or "puncher's impact" that can also cause pain or injury.