Common-Source Voltage Gain Estimate

In summary, the conversation is about choosing the ideal type of amplifier and configuration based on desired gain and input resistance. The author uses a common-source voltage gain estimate in the design example and solutions, which is not included in the relevant equations or discussed in the chapter about common-source amplifiers. The question is whether this expression is valid and if it matters whether there is a source resistor or not. The answer is that it is a valid approximation.
hisotaso

Homework Statement

Working through some homework problems we are given the desired gain and input resistance, and are asked to choose what type of amplifier (mosfet or bjt) and what configuration would be ideal. The solutions are given. In the solutions, and in the design example in the text, the author uses the common-source voltage gain estimate I have listed in the "relevant equations" section.

In the design example, the author says "referring back to table xx.xx we see our design estimate for voltage gain of a common-source amplifier is..." and uses the expression I have given. Also, in the given solutions (from the author), in each example where a common-source is considered, that expression is used as an estimate. Now, that expression is not in that table, nor is it anywhere in the chapter where the common-source amplifier is discussed and it's various values derived.

My question is if any of you have seen this expression, is it a valid expression, and does it make any difference if there is a source resistor or not?

(I should add that this would be just one more of many many errors/oversights I have found so far)

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{VDD}{VGS-VTN}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the analogous case for the common-emitter amplifier, the estimation of 10*Vcc is only valid if there is no emitter resistor. My feeling is that the expression given above is only valid when there is no source resistor.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found an answer to the question, it is a valid approximation.

/closethread

Related to Common-Source Voltage Gain Estimate

1. What is common-source voltage gain estimate?

Common-source voltage gain estimate is a measure of the amplification of an input voltage in a common-source amplifier circuit. It is typically represented by the symbol "Av" and is calculated as the ratio of the change in output voltage to the change in input voltage.

2. How is common-source voltage gain estimate calculated?

Common-source voltage gain estimate is calculated using the following formula: Av = ΔVout/ΔVin, where ΔVout is the change in output voltage and ΔVin is the change in input voltage.

3. What factors can affect the common-source voltage gain estimate?

Some factors that can affect the common-source voltage gain estimate include the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit, the type of transistor used, and the operating conditions of the circuit (such as temperature and power supply voltage).

4. How can the common-source voltage gain estimate be improved?

The common-source voltage gain estimate can be improved by carefully selecting the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit, choosing a transistor with a higher gain, and ensuring that the circuit is operating under optimal conditions.

5. Why is understanding the common-source voltage gain estimate important?

Understanding the common-source voltage gain estimate is important because it allows for the design and analysis of common-source amplifier circuits. It also helps in predicting the behavior of the circuit and making adjustments to improve its performance.