Common Emitter with emitter resistance small signal model

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where the person is trying to solve for the Av and Rin using a given circuit and the pi model. They have successfully solved for Av but are struggling with finding the correct formula for Rin. The mentor provides a formula for Rin and offers tips on how to solve for it, discussing the dimensions and units of the formula and the definition of beta. The conversation ends with the person realizing that the answer they were provided was missing a plus sign, and they thank the mentor for their help.
Electrical_kid
[Mentor's Note: Thread Moved from EE Forum]

This link has the picture, for some reason it wasnt showing in this post. http://i.imgur.com/TYlb32t.jpg
Here is my problem, I am supposed to use this circuit and solve for Av and Rin. My problem is that I have solved for Av but I can't solve for Rin no matter what I use. Its very frustrating. I need to use the pi model.

Here is my work for the Av gain.

i2yiMT6.jpg

Please let me now if this is correct and then a tip on how I can solve for Rin which should be Rin = RB|| r_pi (R_E(1+B)). Is Vbe only across r_pi or r_pi and R_E?

Av = -B(R_C||R_L)/(r_pi) which is what I have in my work in the upper right middle

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Is this either coursework or homework ?

small_circuit.png

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
Is this either coursework or homework ?
Its homework, do you think there is a typo in the Rin given? Or is the emitter resistance in the wrong place?

I shrank and posted the circuit.
Rin is shown as an indeterminate arrow, Is it measured at Vs of at the base terminal ?
Rin is frequency dependent because of the series C in the base circuit.
Re will appear higher resistance to Rin because it is seen through the base current gain, beta.

Electrical_kid said:
Please let me know if this is correct and then a tip on how I can solve for Rin which should be Rin = RB|| r_pi (R_E(1+B)). Is Vbe only across r_pi or r_pi and R_E?
Vbe is always the voltage across the active b-e junction; it doesn't embrace voltage across externally placed resistors.

Your formula for Rin looks awkward. The expressions on each side of the "||" symbol should have units of Ohms.

Should Rin be Rin = RB || (rpi + RE*(beta+1)) ?

Electrical_kid said:
Should Rin be Rin = RB || (rpi + RE*(beta+1)) ?
That looks better.

NascentOxygen said:
Your formula for Rin looks awkward. The expressions on each side of the "||" symbol should have units of Ohms.
If R_pi has dimension ohms then your Rin = RB || r_pi (R_E(1+B)) has dimensions of ohm || ohm2
Where has your R_pi come from ?

See schematic in post #2
Do you think Rbase = R1 || R2 ?

How is beta defined ?
Maybe; Rin = Rbase || (Re * beta)
or; Rin = Rbase || (Re * (1+beta) )

Baluncore, I think the reason I was having trouble is because the answer they provided was missing the plus sign, a previous professor of mine provided me a pdf file explaining how they get Rin and it definitely shows that it should be Rin = RB || ( rpi + RE(beta +1)).

Related to Common Emitter with emitter resistance small signal model

1. What is a common emitter with emitter resistance small signal model?

The common emitter with emitter resistance small signal model is a simplified circuit model used to analyze the behavior of a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) in a common emitter configuration. It takes into account the effects of both the emitter resistance and the external biasing resistors on the transistor's output characteristics.

2. Why is the emitter resistance important in this model?

The emitter resistance plays a crucial role in the common emitter with emitter resistance small signal model because it affects the gain and stability of the transistor. It also helps in maintaining the DC bias point and improving the linearity of the amplifier.

3. How is the emitter resistance calculated in this model?

The emitter resistance is calculated by dividing the emitter voltage by the emitter current. It can also be approximated by the reciprocal of the transconductance of the transistor.

4. What are the limitations of the common emitter with emitter resistance small signal model?

One major limitation of this model is that it assumes the transistor is operating in the active region, which may not always be the case. It also neglects the effects of parasitic components and thermal variations, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

5. How is the common emitter with emitter resistance small signal model used in practical applications?

The common emitter with emitter resistance small signal model is commonly used in the design of amplifiers and other electronic circuits. It helps in determining the gain, input and output impedances, and frequency response of the circuit. Engineers also use this model to optimize the circuit for specific performance requirements.