Finding a Good Equation Editor: My Search for an Alternative

• Thread starter StephenPrivitera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Search
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a good equation editor, with the individual mentioning their previous use of the MS Word editor and the need to find a new one due to changes in their circumstances. They mention finding one called "Equation Illustrator V" but note that it is more cumbersome than the MS Word editor. They also express a desire for the editor to work independently and include drawing tools. They are willing to pay for a good editor but would prefer a free one.
StephenPrivitera
Who knows of a good equation editor?

I have used the one that comes with MS Word, and I find it very convenient. Changes in my circumstances will take this editor out of my reach, so I need to find a new one. I found one that is called "Equation Illustrator V." It is clearly more cumbersome that the MS Word Equation editor.
I would like the program to work indepently of other programs. It would be nice if it included drawing tools for diagrams and such. I don't mind paying a few dollars for a good editor, but of course I'd prefer a free one.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
Who knows of a good equation editor?

I have used the one that comes with MS Word, and I find it very convenient. Changes in my circumstances will take this editor out of my reach, so I need to find a new one. I found one that is called "Equation Illustrator V." It is clearly more cumbersome that the MS Word Equation editor.
I would like the program to work indepently of other programs. It would be nice if it included drawing tools for diagrams and such. I don't mind paying a few dollars for a good editor, but of course I'd prefer a free one.

what changes take this out of your reach?

I'm going to school, moving away, buying a new computer. The new computer won't have MS Word. Rather than purchase MS word, I thought I could find a new editor. Besides, MS Word only writes equations. Drawing and labeling pictures is pretty good, but could be easier.

MS word is still pretty good.

maybe your new computer will come with something.

1. What is an equation editor and why is it important?

An equation editor is a software tool that allows users to create and edit mathematical and scientific equations in a digital format. It is important for scientists because equations are a fundamental part of scientific research and communication, and an equation editor makes it easier to create and format complex equations accurately.

2. What are the common features of a good equation editor?

A good equation editor should have a user-friendly interface, support for a wide range of mathematical symbols and functions, the ability to easily insert and format equations within a document, and compatibility with different operating systems and software programs.

3. What are some alternatives to traditional equation editors?

Some alternatives to traditional equation editors include LaTeX, MathType, and Equation Editor in Microsoft Word. These programs offer more advanced features and options for creating equations, but may have a steeper learning curve for users who are not familiar with coding or advanced mathematical notation.

4. How do I choose the best equation editor for my needs?

The best equation editor for your needs will depend on your specific requirements and preferences. Consider factors such as the complexity of equations you need to create, the software and operating systems you will be using, and your level of familiarity with equation editing tools. It may also be helpful to read reviews and try out different options before making a decision.

5. Are there any free equation editors available?

Yes, there are several free equation editors available, such as LibreOffice Math, MathMagic Lite, and Desmos. These programs may have limited features compared to paid options, but can still be useful for basic equation editing needs. Additionally, many paid equation editors offer free trial periods for users to test out the software before committing to a purchase.