Exploring the Math of Dimensional Knots

• Thread starter dsrw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of knot theory in mathematics and raises questions about the possibility of untying knots in higher dimensions. It is suggested that the branch of mathematics relevant to this topic is topology, specifically knot theory. The conversation also touches on the idea of how knots may behave in different dimensions.
dsrw
Hey all, i don't know if this is the right forum for this but i think there is a branch of math that studies knot and i just have few questions.
Today i was untying a knot and then i though, maybe it would be easier to untie a 3D knot in a 4D world (not time). Am i right? Since nobody can visualize a 4D dimention, so i simplified to 2D knot in 3D, then i realize you cannot have a knot in 2D, the string has to cross itself(entering 3D) at least once to become a knot.
Then further, how much a higher dimention knot look or act like in a lower dimention, or does that not even apply? Anyway just few questions that bugged me the whole day, thanks for reading!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The branch of mathematics you're thinking of is Topology, or, more specifically a subfield of Topology called Knot Theory. And, I think, the dimensonality your thinking of isn't what the mathematicians are thinking of. I won't say any more, as I earned a C+ in topology. I'll leave it to my colleagues.

Hi there,

You are absolutely correct that there is a branch of math that studies knots, called knot theory. It is a fascinating and complex field that has applications in various areas such as physics, biology, and computer science.

Your question about whether it would be easier to untie a 3D knot in a 4D world is an interesting one. In some cases, it may be easier to untie a knot in a higher dimension, but it also depends on the specific properties of the knot itself. In fact, there are some knots that can only be untied in higher dimensions.

As you mentioned, it is difficult for us to visualize higher dimensions, so mathematicians often use analogies and projections to study them. For example, as you pointed out, a 2D knot in 3D cannot exist without crossing itself, so it is not a true knot. Similarly, a 3D knot in 4D may have properties that cannot be fully understood in 3D.

In terms of how higher dimensional knots may look or behave in lower dimensions, there are some interesting connections and relationships, but it is a complex and ongoing area of research.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions and I encourage you to continue exploring the fascinating world of dimensional knots. Happy knotting!

1. What are dimensional knots?

Dimensional knots are mathematical representations of knots in multiple dimensions. They are created by embedding a knot into a higher-dimensional space, such as a 4-dimensional space, and visualizing it in 3 dimensions.

2. How are dimensional knots different from regular knots?

Regular knots are confined to 3-dimensional space and can be untangled, while dimensional knots exist in higher dimensions and cannot be untangled. They also have more complex structures and properties compared to regular knots.

3. What is the significance of studying dimensional knots?

Studying dimensional knots helps us understand the properties of higher-dimensional spaces and can have applications in fields such as physics, biology, and computer science. It also helps us gain insights into the structure and complexity of knots in general.

4. Can dimensional knots be visualized?

Yes, dimensional knots can be visualized in 3-dimensional space through various techniques such as projection methods and 3D printing. However, their true structure and properties can only be fully understood through mathematical representations and equations.

5. Are there different types of dimensional knots?

Yes, there are different types of dimensional knots based on the number of dimensions they are embedded in and their properties. Some common types include torus knots, hyperbolic knots, and satellite knots. Each type has its own unique characteristics and mathematical properties.