Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Commentary for "Using Snell's Law to determine the fastest escape route"

agentmulder

Feb 9, 2012
Last edited by a moderator:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Re: Using Snell's Law to determine the fastest escape route

I remember seeing this as Fermat's Principle in an optics book by Pedrotti and Pedrotti but your derivation is much nicer with all the details so someone like me can understand.

Fermat's principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:)
Thank you...I find unless I work out the details myself, I don't really understand either. (Giggle)

I think this is testament to the goals of our site, that we allow the students to solve their problems with only suggestions and hints, and get them to come to a better understanding this way. (Cool)

agentmulder

Feb 9, 2012

Thank you...I find unless I work out the details myself, I don't really understand either. (Giggle)

I think this is testament to the goals of our site, that we allow the students to solve their problems with only suggestions and hints, and get them to come to a better understanding this way. (Cool)
Yep, the goal of a great educator is to help create students that can think on their own. I usually try to do the same unless i get a feeling the student won't be able to get the result on their own. It took the genius of a fermat to properly explain the principle of least time, not all students are geniuses but it's nice when a teacher get's one that is. (Of course i kept that opinion to myself when I was tutoring)

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012

It took the genius of a fermat to properly explain the principle of least time
Where can I acquire one of those "fermats"? I could use one :p

agentmulder

Feb 9, 2012

Where can I acquire one of those "fermats"? I could use one :p
There are probably a few on math forums like this, you can usually tell by quality of postings and the help is free so you don't have to be a marquis to benefit from the knowledge!