Molecular Orbitals: Carbon Nanotubes, Silicon & More

In summary: This molecule is quite stable. The energy gap between the highest occupied molecular orbital and the lowest unoccupied molecular orbital is only 1.9eV.
mmwave
While learning about carbon nanotubes I ran into the term molecular orbitals. I know something about atomic orbitals but took chemistry a long time ago.

I would expect the concept of molecular orbitals to be useful for covalent bonding like Silicon crystals and metals. I would expect it's not useful for Ionic bonding (the electron is transferred and that's that) nor for bonding like Van Der Waals. Is this right?

Since van der Waals bonding (like forces between liquid H2O molecules) don't involve electron sharing it's got nothing to do with molecular orbitals. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
You are correct.

Molecular bonding only occurs in a covalent system. In ionic systems these orbitals do not occur in the same fashion.

Watch what are you say :). It's hydrogen bonding between H20 molecules.

Even though intermolecular forces do not bond in any way to each other, they can affect the orbitals slightly.

This picture might help when thinking about orbitals. Forgive my bad handwriting.

Pete

Attachments

• inorganic.jpg
    inorganic.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 450
Originally posted by PeteGt

Watch what are you say :). It's hydrogen bonding between H20 molecules.

This picture might help when thinking about orbitals. Forgive my bad handwriting.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I thought I heard 2 physicists and 1 physics book say liquid H20 was van der Waals forces. I check my notes and see what they really said.:smile:

Saddly, I am too ignorant to make much out of your drawing but thanks for trying. The handwritting is fine though.

A related question. In a Buckyball ( 60 atom spherical carbon molecule) the energy gap between Highest Occupied Molecular Orbital and the Lowest Unoccupied M. O. is 1.9eV.

What is this supposed to tell me?

Lol, that's okay. I figured it was kinda a big thing to put in front of you.

The Bucky Ball issue is nothing huge. 1.9eV would be a spectrum peak that would be detectable in the Visible spectrum. Thus easily identifiable. Other than that. Nothing really. Maybe that since 1.9eV isn't a major difference in M.O. then this molecule is uite stable.

Pete

What are molecular orbitals?

Molecular orbitals are regions of space in which there is a high probability of finding an electron in a molecule. They are formed by the overlapping of atomic orbitals, which are the regions of space where electrons are found in individual atoms.

How do molecular orbitals form in carbon nanotubes?

In carbon nanotubes, molecular orbitals form through the overlapping of sp2 hybridized orbitals from each carbon atom. This creates unique electronic properties that make carbon nanotubes highly useful in various applications.

Do silicon molecules have molecular orbitals?

Yes, silicon molecules also have molecular orbitals. Silicon atoms have four valence electrons and form sp3 hybridized orbitals, which can overlap to create molecular orbitals. However, the electronic properties in silicon molecules are not as diverse as those in carbon nanotubes.

What is the significance of molecular orbitals in chemistry?

Molecular orbitals play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the chemical and physical properties of molecules. They determine the stability, reactivity, and electronic behavior of molecules, making them essential in the development of new materials and technologies.

Can molecular orbitals be observed experimentally?

Molecular orbitals cannot be directly observed experimentally. However, their presence and characteristics can be inferred through spectroscopic techniques, such as photoelectron spectroscopy and NMR spectroscopy, which measure the energies and interactions of electrons in a molecule.