Chain rule in Calc = Chain in Log?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the chain rule and its application in finding the derivative of composite functions. The chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of its individual functions. It is different from the power rule and can be applied to functions with non-real numbers, such as logarithmic functions.
PrudensOptimus
I know in Logarithms loga b * logc d = loga d * logc b

and

loga b * logb c = loga c.

Chain Rule.

Now I read Calculus, I found out about the Chain rule, are they the same?? Looks like it. But because of my poor English reading, I couldn't understand the text. Can some one explain what Chain rule is?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They are not related. if you have several functions as arguments to other functions like f( g( h(x) ) ), then the derivative of this is f'( g( h( x ) ) ) * g'( h( x ) ) * h'( x ) do you see the pattern? So for f(x) = 1/x and g(x) = ln(x) and h(x) = x2, f( g( h (x ) ) ) = 1/ln(x2) and the derivative would be -1/(ln(x2)2) * 1/(x2)*2x

http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/2/chain_rule.2/

chain rule
Dx :wink:

So what is the derivative of n^x, suppose n is a real number, and x is an unknown. And power rule does not apply to this situation because x is not a real number.

let f(x) = nx
ln f(x) = x ln n (take ln on both sides)
f '(x)/f(x) = ln n (take the first derivative on both sides)
f '(x) = f(x)*ln n = nxln n

PS
1) ln is natural log (base e), only natural log can be used in differentiation.

2) d/dx ln f(x) = f '(x)/f(x)

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule in calculus is a method for finding the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composition of two functions is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How is the chain rule used in logarithmic functions?

The chain rule can be applied to logarithmic functions when they are written in composite form, such as log(base a) f(x). The derivative of this function is equal to (1/f(x)) multiplied by the derivative of f(x), which can be found using the chain rule.

3. Why is it important to understand the chain rule in logarithmic functions?

Understanding the chain rule in logarithmic functions is important because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. This is especially useful in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex mathematical models are used.

4. Are there any special cases where the chain rule does not apply in logarithmic functions?

Yes, there are some special cases where the chain rule may not apply in logarithmic functions. For example, if the logarithmic function is not written in composite form, or if the function has a variable as the base of the logarithm, the chain rule cannot be used and an alternative method must be used to find the derivative.

5. How can I practice and improve my understanding of the chain rule in logarithmic functions?

The best way to practice and improve your understanding of the chain rule in logarithmic functions is to solve a variety of problems that involve composite logarithmic functions. You can find practice problems in calculus textbooks or online resources, and there are also many online tutorials and video lessons available to help you work through the problems and improve your skills.