Dawn of human race uncovered ?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human Race
In summary, The article discusses the discovery of fossils that may pre-date Homo sapiens and the debate over their classification. Some suggest they should be called "Dawn of H. sapiens Uncovered" while others comment on the physical appearance of the fossils. The conversation also brings up the rebuttal from Creationists.
Biology news on Phys.org
Thanks, interesting article! (although they should rename it as "Dawn of H. sapiens Uncovered" since "humans" pre-dated H. sapiens and those fossils)

Sheesh, Herto Man must have hit the gym a lot.

Originally posted by Phobos
Sheesh, Herto Man must have hit the gym a lot.
Really, that fellow is ripped!
I wish I could de-evolve myself into such shape.
{edit]
If I had his body and he had a banana we'd both be happy.

And the Creationists' (AiG) rebuttle...
http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2003/0612sapiens.asp [Broken]
http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/6/132003e.asp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. When and where was the dawn of the human race uncovered?

The dawn of the human race was uncovered in 1974 in the Afar region of Ethiopia, when paleoanthropologist Donald Johanson discovered the fossilized remains of a hominin species called Australopithecus afarensis.

2. How old are the fossils found in the dawn of the human race?

The fossils found in the dawn of the human race are approximately 3.2 million years old. This makes them some of the oldest and most complete hominin fossils ever discovered.

3. How do scientists determine the age of the fossils?

Scientists use various methods to determine the age of fossils found in the dawn of the human race. This includes radiometric dating, which measures the decay of radioactive elements present in the fossils, and stratigraphy, which analyzes the layers of sediment in which the fossils are found.

4. What does the discovery of the dawn of the human race tell us about human evolution?

The discovery of the dawn of the human race has provided valuable insight into the early stages of human evolution. It has shown that our ancestors were bipedal and had a mixture of ape-like and human-like features. It has also helped fill in the gaps in our understanding of the evolutionary timeline.

5. What other significant discoveries have been made about the dawn of the human race?

Since the initial discovery in 1974, many other significant findings have been made about the dawn of the human race. These include the discovery of other Australopithecus afarensis fossils, as well as fossils of other hominin species such as Homo habilis and Homo erectus. These discoveries have helped shape our understanding of the evolution of early humans.