Lab Experiment Help: Examining Spectra and Colors with a Spectroscope

• Thread starter Macdaddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, Colin missed a lab experiment for his first year university and is asking for help completing it. The experiment involves examining the spectrum of colors from a lightbulb and from electricity passing through a gas, and identifying the colors and their order when viewed through a spectroscope. Colin is looking for resources to complete the experiment, as the lab is due today. However, it is unclear what kind of help Colin is seeking, as a lab report should reflect what actually happened in the experiment.
Macdaddy
need experiment help please...

I missed my last lab experiment for first year university, It consists of examining the spectrum of colors from a lightbulb and from the light produced when electricity moves though a gas such a hydrogen. Its asks to name the colors and their order when the light is viewed through a spectroscope, and the pattern of colors present from the gas in the narrow glass tube. I simply have no resources to do this experiment on my own and the lab is due today, so any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Colin

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to understand exactly what kind of help you want! You want to turn in a lab report for a lab you didn't do?? The whole point of a lab report is to tell what actually happened- not to tell what you THINK would happen IF you did the experiment. Did you go to the teacher and ask about making up the lab?

Hi Colin,

I can understand your concern about missing the lab experiment and needing help. I will try my best to guide you through the experiment and provide some resources that you can use.

Firstly, a spectroscope is a scientific instrument used to separate and analyze different colors or wavelengths of light. It consists of a narrow slit through which light passes, a prism or diffraction grating that separates the light into its component colors, and an eyepiece to view the spectrum.

To start the experiment, you will need a spectroscope, a light source (such as a lightbulb), and a gas-filled glass tube (such as hydrogen or neon). You can use a spectroscope that is available in your lab or you can also make one at home using a CD or DVD and a cardboard tube. Here is a video tutorial on how to make a spectroscope at home:

Next, you will need to set up the experiment by placing the light source in front of the spectroscope and adjusting the angle of the spectroscope to see the spectrum of colors. Make sure the room is dark to get a clear view of the spectrum.

When looking at the light source through the spectroscope, you will see a continuous spectrum of colors ranging from red to violet. This is known as the visible spectrum. You can use this color chart as a reference to identify the colors: https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/575-visible-spectrum

Now, when you pass the light through a gas-filled glass tube, you will see a different pattern of colors. Each gas produces a unique spectrum of colors, known as an emission spectrum. You can use this website to view the emission spectra of different gases: https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/1368-emission-spectra

To determine the order of colors in the emission spectrum, you can use the mnemonic "ROYGBIV" which stands for red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. This is the order of colors in a rainbow and can be used to remember the order of colors in a spectrum.

I hope this helps you with your experiment. If you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to ask your professor or a lab assistant for help. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of your experiment?

The purpose of my experiment is to investigate a specific scientific question or hypothesis and gather data to support or refute it.

2. What is your research methodology?

My research methodology includes the procedures and techniques I will use to conduct the experiment, such as the materials and equipment needed, data collection methods, and data analysis techniques.

3. How will you ensure the validity and reliability of your results?

To ensure the validity and reliability of my results, I will use proper controls, repeat the experiment multiple times, and use appropriate statistical analysis to minimize errors and ensure accurate conclusions.

4. Can you explain the potential risks or ethical concerns of your experiment?

The potential risks and ethical concerns of my experiment will depend on the nature of the experiment and the materials or procedures involved. I will follow all necessary safety protocols and ethical guidelines to minimize any potential risks or ethical concerns.

5. What do you hope to learn or discover from your experiment?

I hope to learn or discover new information, insights, or patterns related to the scientific question or hypothesis I am investigating through my experiment. This could contribute to expanding our understanding of a particular phenomenon or advancing a particular field of study.