Going Hypersonic: Flying FALCON for Defense

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flying
In summary, DARPA and USAF are seeking contractors to build an unmanned hypersonic aircraft capable of reaching any point on the world map in about two hours. Though initially a creature of war, such an aircraft could eventually serve as a springboard into space, developing technology that could lead to a single-stage-to-orbit spacecraft.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and the United States Air Force (USAF) are seeking contractors to build an unmanned hypersonic aircraft capable of reaching any point on the world map in about two hours. Though initially a creature of war, such an aircraft could eventually serve as a springboard into space, developing technology that could lead to a single-stage-to-orbit spacecraft "

http://space.com/businesstechnology/technology/darpa_falcon_030723.html

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes, I was following the Hypersoar program pretty closely when the ptototype test engine got fragged. That was pretty dissapointing and I thought we wouldn't see hypersoar technology for a long time because of it.

I think it was less than a year later that the Australians flew the first successfull SCRAMjet. Can't say I'm thrilled about it being a millitary project, but I can't say I'm at all suprised, either. At least this should get the ball rolling again.

Originally posted by LURCH
Yes, I was following the Hypersoar program pretty closely when the ptototype test engine got fragged. That was pretty dissapointing and I thought we wouldn't see hypersoar technology for a long time because of it.

I think it was less than a year later that the Australians flew the first successfull SCRAMjet. Can't say I'm thrilled about it being a millitary project, but I can't say I'm at all suprised, either. At least this should get the ball rolling again.

I have been reading this same article for about 25 years now.

Another example of a really long winded project. The National Missile Defense program, which still doesn't work, is at least 40 years old.

Hey, I have a theory on the Gulf II war. I think the Patriot III is a LAZER or similar energy weapon. Do you rememeber in Gulf I how we saw patriot after patriot launch at the incoming missiles; most of which really failed to stop the incoming? Did anyone notice that even though this was a front line defense for Kuwait that saw action, and that claimed 100% effectiveness, we never saw one Patriot III launch?

Well ain't this a coinkydink! Test-flight are slated to recomense sometime in http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/x43a_return_030728.html .

I think NASA monitors this site and knows we were talkin' about 'em!:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is hypersonic flight?

Hypersonic flight is defined as flight at speeds greater than Mach 5, or five times the speed of sound. This equates to approximately 3,800 miles per hour or 6,200 kilometers per hour.

What is the FALCON program and how does it relate to hypersonic flight?

The FALCON (Force Application and Launch from CONtinental United States) program is a research and development effort by the United States Department of Defense to create a hypersonic weapon system capable of reaching any target on Earth within an hour. The program is focused on developing a reusable hypersonic aircraft, known as FALCON, that can be launched from the United States and deliver a payload to any location in the world.

What are the potential benefits of hypersonic flight for defense purposes?

Hypersonic flight has the potential to greatly enhance the capabilities of the military by enabling faster and more precise delivery of weapons and other payload to any location on Earth. This could provide a significant advantage in terms of response time and strategic positioning.

What are some challenges and obstacles in achieving successful hypersonic flight?

Achieving hypersonic flight poses several challenges, such as overcoming extreme heat and aerodynamic forces, developing materials that can withstand such high speeds, and ensuring stability and control of the aircraft. Additionally, the development and testing of hypersonic technology is a complex and expensive process.

What are the current advancements and future possibilities in hypersonic flight for defense?

Currently, there have been successful tests and demonstrations of hypersonic flight for defense purposes, but there is still much research and development needed to fully realize the potential of this technology. In the future, hypersonic flight could lead to faster and more efficient military operations, as well as advancements in commercial and civilian air travel.