Solving for Unknown Mass Using Hooke's Law: Tips and Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the unknown mass using a spring, ruler, and known masses, and if Hooke's Law can be applied. The solution involves finding the constant, k, using the known masses and their corresponding extensions, and then using the extension of the unknown mass to calculate its weight force. Graphs can also be used to derive the equation of F = kx.
daodude1987
Hey guys, I'm a beginner physics student and I don't really know how to answer this question:

I have a spring, ruler,3 known masses, and 1 unknown mass.How would I find the unknown mass using these materials? Is it possible to solve using Hooke's Law? It would be very helpful if you guys can provide some equations or include any diagrams. Also how would I derive the needed equations from a graph? Thanks Alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by daodude1987
Hey guys, I'm a beginner physics student and I don't really know how to answer this question:

I have a spring, ruler,3 known masses, and 1 unknown mass.How would I find the unknown mass using these materials? Is it possible to solve using Hooke's Law? It would be very helpful if you guys can provide some equations or include any diagrams. Also how would I derive the needed equations from a graph? Thanks Alot!

Dude:

Hook's Law says "the restoring force of the spring is proportional to the extension or compression of the spring from its equilibrium." In formula form its F=-kx (the negative inticates that the force is in the opposite direction from the extension, x).

So, for every spring, there is a constant, k. Use your known masses and find how much of an "x" they will get on your sprin. Now you have three sets of F and x. How are they related? THrough "k".

Find k. Now you have k and you can measure the x of the unknown mass to get its weight (F).

Graphically: think "slope."

hang the 3 known masses one at a time on the end of the spring. for each mass, measure how much the spring extends.

convert the known masses into weight forces (multiply them by g (g = 9.8m/s/s).

now plot a graph of force against extension of the spring. you should have 3 points lying in a roughly straight line. draw the best fit line through those points; it should go through the origin.

because the graph is a straight line through the origin, extension and force applied are directly proportional. thus you can get an equation:

F = kx (this is hooke's law)

where F is the force applied, x is the extension and k is a constant of proportionality (the gradient of the graph).

calculate the gradient of the graph to find the value of k.

now put the unknown mass on the end of the spring and measure the extension. plug the extension into the above equation and you can work out the weight force applied by the mass. divide this by 9.8 to get the value of the mass.

Thanks a bunch! Everything is much clearer now!

1. What is Hooke's Law and why is it important in solving for unknown mass?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This law is important in solving for unknown mass because it allows us to calculate the mass of an object by measuring the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement of the spring.

2. How do I set up an equation using Hooke's Law to solve for unknown mass?

To set up an equation using Hooke's Law, you will need to use the formula F = kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring. You will also need to know the spring constant and the displacement of the spring in order to solve for the unknown mass. The equation will look like this: m = (F/k) - x, where m is the unknown mass.

3. What are some tips for using Hooke's Law to solve for unknown mass?

Some tips for using Hooke's Law to solve for unknown mass include making sure you are using consistent units for force and displacement, using a spring with a known and constant spring constant, and taking multiple measurements to ensure accuracy. It is also important to properly set up and label your equations to avoid any mistakes in the solving process.

4. Are there any limitations to using Hooke's Law to solve for unknown mass?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Hooke's Law to solve for unknown mass. Hooke's Law assumes that the spring is perfectly elastic and that the force applied is within the elastic limit of the spring. If these conditions are not met, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, the equation assumes that the mass is attached to the spring and is not moving, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. Can Hooke's Law be applied to other situations besides solving for unknown mass?

Yes, Hooke's Law can be applied to a variety of situations besides solving for unknown mass. It can be used to determine the force needed to extend or compress a spring, to measure the spring constant of a spring, and to calculate the displacement of an object attached to a spring. It is a versatile principle that is commonly used in physics and engineering.