Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Comment overwritten by Thanks panel

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Are other people having trouble reading comment #3 in this thread? On my browser (Safari) the Thanks panel overlaps the comment, like this:

Screenshot.jpg

I get the same using Firefox and Opera browsers, but only with this one comment. It doesn't happen anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Are other people having trouble reading comment #3 in this thread? On my browser (Safari) the Thanks panel overlaps the comment, like this:

View attachment 969

I get the same using Firefox and Opera browsers, but only with this one comment. It doesn't happen anywhere else.
It is same here! What I think is that it maybe happend cause when you answer you did write on qoute only and when he Reply to you Then it may bugg? Well this is what I think..

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I just now noticed the same thing, and have not seen this happen anywhere else.

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
This happened on my post in the recent Jokes thread. I worked around it by adding a dot at the end of the post (hidden by the "thanked" panel). I had edited it just before it happened, too, so I guess the "edited by" line is pushing the panel upwards.

I was going to report it but got lazy :confused:

EDIT: I confirm it happens on every thanked thread that's been edited and shows the "edited by" label.

Like this one, in fact.

Last edited:

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I was able to get rid of the problem by eliminating the empty Opalg quote box, and switching the math to $\LaTeX$. There didn't seem to be anything exceptionally weird about the post, though, so I am unsure what the root cause is. Please do report any such posts in the future.

[EDIT] @ Bacterius: Thanks very much! Now that we have what appears to be a repeatable error, we might be able to get to the bottom of it. Stand by.

[EDIT] It appears to require that the post's text extend beyond the user's "stuff" at the left. See, for example, the posts in this thread. I've touched all the posts in this thread so that they're all "edited". The OP by Opalg does not have the problem, Petrus's post does, MarkFL's does not, and Bacterius's does. If I recall, we had an unusual algorithm for computing the location of the signature, because I didn't want posts to take up scads more space than necessary. We may need to include a hard-coded extra amount in there in case a post gets edited.

[EDIT] The problem also appears only to occur when the user in question has no signature. Even a one-line signature appears to eliminate the problem.

[EDIT] Another odd issue: my signature doesn't show up on this particular post. I wonder why that is.

;
;

Last edited:

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
First test of length of post: short.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Second test of length of post: equal to stuff at left.
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
The last line.

Last edited:

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Third test of length of post: much longer than stuff at left.
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
The last line.

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
This is related to some recent changes a coder made for us. Before the change, the "edited by" message was appearing in a horrible location and hitting "Thanks" would stretch the post box vertically way too much so an attempt to fix this was made. It seems there are a few cases where some more editing needs to be done. I'll write the coder and see when he can work on it some more. In general I think it looks much better now than it was before.

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
[EDIT] Another odd issue: my signature doesn't show up on this particular post. I wonder why that is.
I can actually read your comment with my phone now :)

Edit: seems like I can read all your comment in my phone now!:) even thought when your signature works.

Regards,

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I can actually read your comment with my phone now :)

Edit: seems like I can read all your comment in my phone now!:) even thought when your signature works.

Regards,
Yes, actually, I think I had an abnormally long (read: illegally long!) signature before. When I was fiddling around with it, trying to figure out something about the problem in this thread, it didn't let me put it back in. I'm ok with that. The V.I. Arnold quote, while great, maybe isn't what I want to emphasize here.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
This should be fixed now. If anyone notices any more problems, please let me know by posting in this thread. :)