Comet Orbit Around the Sun: Calculating Speed

In summary, a comet is in an elliptical orbit around the Sun, with its closest approach at a distance of 4.5 1010 m and a speed of 8.9 104 m/s. Its farthest distance is beyond the orbit of Pluto. To find its speed at a distance of 6 1012 m, you can use the conservation of mechanical energy, which includes both kinetic and gravitational potential energy. You can set up an equation using the initial and final total energy, and the mass of the comet does not need to be known.
jamagner
A comet is in an elliptical orbit around the Sun. Its closest approach to the Sun is a distance of 4.5 1010 m (inside the orbit of Mercury), at which point its speed is 8.9 104 m/s. Its farthest distance from the Sun is far beyond the orbit of Pluto. What is its speed when it is 6 1012 m from the Sun? (This is the approximate distance of Pluto from the Sun.)

i have no clue how to find the speed given only the distances and the other speed

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's conserved?

see that's what i don't know...my guess would be kinetic energy is conserved but i don't really know...i suck at physics i never know what's going on

Mechanical energy (kinetic energy + gravitational potential energy) is conserved.

so how do i use this in an equation can i set it up as a proportion

Initial total energy = final total energy. You'll need to know how to calculate gravitational PE.

What if you don't know the mass of the comet, because don't you need this to use the gravitational PE?

sriceb01 said:
What if you don't know the mass of the comet, because don't you need this to use the gravitational PE?
You don't need the actual mass. Just call it "m" and see what happens.

Related to Comet Orbit Around the Sun: Calculating Speed

1. How do you calculate the speed of a comet in its orbit around the sun?

The speed of a comet in its orbit around the sun can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance / time. The distance is the length of the comet's orbit, while the time is the duration it takes for the comet to complete one orbit.

2. What factors affect the speed of a comet in its orbit?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of a comet in its orbit around the sun. These include the mass and gravitational pull of the sun, the shape and size of the comet's orbit, and any external forces such as interactions with other objects in the solar system.

3. How does the speed of a comet change as it gets closer to the sun?

As a comet gets closer to the sun, its speed will increase. This is due to the increasing gravitational pull of the sun, which pulls the comet towards it at a faster rate. The comet's speed will then decrease as it moves away from the sun.

4. How do scientists measure the speed of a comet in its orbit around the sun?

Scientists use various methods to measure the speed of a comet in its orbit around the sun. These can include radar and optical observations, as well as using spectroscopy to analyze the light emitted by the comet and determine its speed.

5. Can the speed of a comet change over time?

Yes, the speed of a comet can change over time. This can be due to a variety of factors, such as interactions with other objects in the solar system, changes in the comet's orbit, or the sublimation of gas and dust from the comet's surface. However, the change in speed may be very small and difficult to detect without precise measurements.