Combining results from multiple distributions

In summary: The probability that the boneresults lie between 27 and 35 or 38.5 and 48 is also 96%. 3-The probability that the boneresults lie between 35 and 38.5 is also 96%.
mwoldinga
Suppose I have a result where the outcome is that with 95% confidence interval of the sample is between 27 and 42. With a second method the test result of the same sample gives a 95% confidence interval between 27 and 48. And with a third method 95% confidence interval of the sample is between 35 and 38.5.
The overlap between the three intervals is in this case 35-38.5. How can I find out what the probability is for this interval, using all three test results?
Let's assume each of the three different test methods give an outcome that has a normal distribution, where the mean each time lies in the middle of each interval.
Of course the answer has to lie above 95%, since the probability will increase if you have more results that do not contradict the last one, but how can I calculate this?
Any suggestions?
Monica (The Netherlands)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mwoldinga said:
Suppose I have a result where the outcome is that with 95% confidence interval ... The overlap between the three intervals is in this case 35-38.5. How can I find out what the probability is for this interval, using all three test results?...

Interpreting the CI percentages as exact probabilities, we could say for example there's a 0% chance the mean lies between 27 and 35 or 38.5 and 48, and 5% chance that the mean lies outside of 27 to 48 - I hope you agree that's nonsense.

...Let's assume each of the three different test methods give an outcome that has a normal distribution, where the mean each time lies in the middle of each interval.
Of course the answer has to lie above 95%, since the probability will increase if you have more results that do not contradict the last one, but how can I calculate this?
Any suggestions?

With a few additional assumptions we'd get one answer but then slightly different assumptions could give quite a different result.

It may be helpful to write down what facts are known about the 3 methods before translating those into assumptions.

I don't think it is very helpful if write down more facts about the methods. The tests are about dating bones. Each of the three test will give an outcome with a different confidence interval, using the same bone each time.
I calculated the probability where the boneresults were outside the overlap in all three cases. 1-this answer is then the probability that the boneresults are not outside the overlap in all three cases. This answer is about 96%. At least this method fits with my intuition, but intuition in statistics is a dangerous thing.

Related to Combining results from multiple distributions

1. What is the purpose of combining results from multiple distributions?

The purpose of combining results from multiple distributions is to obtain a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the underlying data. By combining the results, we can identify patterns, trends, and relationships that may not be apparent when analyzing individual distributions alone.

2. How can we combine results from multiple distributions?

There are various methods for combining results from multiple distributions, such as averaging, weighted averaging, and meta-analysis. These methods involve taking the data from each distribution and calculating a single, representative value that represents the overall result.

3. What are the benefits of combining results from multiple distributions?

Combining results from multiple distributions can provide more robust and reliable conclusions. It can also help to reduce bias and increase the precision of our findings. Additionally, combining results can allow us to make more informed decisions based on a wider range of data.

4. Can we combine results from any type of distribution?

Yes, it is possible to combine results from any type of distribution. However, it is important to consider the characteristics of the distributions and the data being combined to ensure that the chosen method is appropriate and valid.

5. What are the limitations of combining results from multiple distributions?

One limitation of combining results from multiple distributions is the potential for conflicting or heterogeneous data. This can make it challenging to find a single, representative value that accurately reflects the overall results. Additionally, the chosen method of combination may also introduce bias and affect the validity of the findings. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when interpreting the results of combined distributions.