Combining Resistors and Capacitors

In summary, Kirchhoff's Laws state that the voltage across a circuit branch is the sum of potential drops across the branch. However, if you rearrange the components, the sum will be the same as the original expression.
megaspazz

Homework Statement

This is like related to a homework problem, but I'm just curious: If we have two capacitors and two resistors in series, the overall capacitance and resistance does not change regardless of the order, right? Likewise, if they were in parallel (like a resistor + capacitor in series in both branches of the parallel circuit), if you switched the two resistors or the two capacitors, will it cause the overall capacitance and resistance to change?

If you guys don't understand the question, I can draw and upload.

EDIT: I guess another thing I was wondering was: if I had a series circuit that was RCRCRCRC..., could I combine all of the R's in series and C's in series to make a single >---Rnet---Cnet---> circuit? If so, that would also mean that it's the same as the >---Cnet---Rnet---> circuit, right?

Homework Equations

R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... (series R)
1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... (parallel R)
C = C1 + C2 + C3 + ... (parallel C)
1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... (series C)
-- but I'm not too interested in quantitative!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if the series circuit was in RRCC, swapping the two resistors is OK since they're already in series with each other. However, if it were in RCRC, would that be the same as the RRCC or CRRC, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
megaspazz said:

Homework Statement

This is like related to a homework problem, but I'm just curious: If we have two capacitors and two resistors in series, the overall capacitance and resistance does not change regardless of the order, right? Likewise, if they were in parallel (like a resistor + capacitor in series in both branches of the parallel circuit), if you switched the two resistors or the two capacitors, will it cause the overall capacitance and resistance to change?

If you guys don't understand the question, I can draw and upload.

EDIT: I guess another thing I was wondering was: if I had a series circuit that was RCRCRCRC..., could I combine all of the R's in series and C's in series to make a single >---Rnet---Cnet---> circuit? If so, that would also mean that it's the same as the >---Cnet---Rnet---> circuit, right?

Homework Equations

R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... (series R)
1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... (parallel R)
C = C1 + C2 + C3 + ... (parallel C)
1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... (series C)
-- but I'm not too interested in quantitative!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if the series circuit was in RRCC, swapping the two resistors is OK since they're already in series with each other. However, if it were in RCRC, would that be the same as the RRCC or CRRC, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Do you know Kirchhoff's Laws?

Doesn't that just say the current at each junction is constant, and the voltage in each loop is zero? I am not too sure where you are going with this, though...

Bump?

Suppose you have a circuit branch consisting of some combination of R, L, C, components in series. Now suppose that some current I is being injected through that branch:

attachment.php?attachmentid=57725&stc=1&d=1365612097.gif

Can you write an expression for the sum of potential drops across the branch? That is, given current I, what's the voltage V across the branch with respect to time? (Assume no initial currents or charges at time t=0).

Now, if you were to use the same components but reorder them and then you were to find the same sum again, would there be any algebraic difference between the first expression and this new one?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,018

Related to Combining Resistors and Capacitors

1. What is the purpose of combining resistors and capacitors?

The purpose of combining resistors and capacitors is to create a circuit that can control the flow of electrical current, store and release electrical energy, and filter out unwanted frequencies.

2. How are resistors and capacitors connected in a circuit?

Resistors are connected in series, which means they are placed one after the other in the circuit. Capacitors can be connected in series or parallel, depending on the desired function of the circuit.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel connections in combining resistors and capacitors?

In a series connection, the resistors and capacitors share the same current and their total resistance or capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual components. In a parallel connection, the resistors and capacitors have the same voltage across them and their total resistance or capacitance is less than the smallest individual component.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance or capacitance in a combined circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistance. For capacitors in series, the total capacitance is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance. For capacitors in parallel, the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances.

5. What are some practical applications of combining resistors and capacitors?

Combining resistors and capacitors can be used in various electronic devices such as filters, timers, oscillators, and amplifiers. They can also be used in power supplies, audio systems, and communication systems to control and manipulate electrical signals.