Combining math, cs and economy - Job prospects?

In summary, combining math, computer science, and economy provides a unique skillset that is highly valued in today's job market. This combination of skills makes individuals highly sought after for positions in various industries, such as finance, technology, and consulting. Some popular job roles for individuals with this skillset include data scientist, financial analyst, business analyst, market researcher, and management consultant. It is not necessary to have a degree in all three subjects to have good job prospects, as gaining knowledge and skills through courses, internships, or self-study can also make individuals competitive in the job market. To showcase these skills to potential employers, individuals can create a portfolio or resume, participate in relevant projects and competitions, and network with professionals in the
lagge92
Long time reader, first time poster here!

Scroll down for actual question, here's some back story:

Within the coming days/weeks I'll send in my university applications here in Sweden but I have yet to decide what subject to choose. This time last year I applied for a 3-year bachelor's program in computer science (basically equivalent to a major in CS and minor in math) and I was planning on continuing with a 2-year master's in CS after that. However, I decided to give up my spot at the uni and work for a year before my university studies.

During this time I have been questioning my choice of field many times.
I love computer science and software development, but something was lacking, and I found that in mathematics, the pure and universal beauty and mystique of it has me in awe. I have always really liked mathematics but it was never anything I spent a lot of time with in my free time so I'm having some doubts about a math major as well.

On top of that, I have always found economy interesting and now it feels like a practical skill that could be useful in many situations.

I realize that these three fields are very useful for each other, especially math which is a big part of computer science and the kind of economy I'm interested in. The challenge I face is if/how I should combine these interests into a (hopefully) relevant, challenging and lucrative career. Well that's the goal anyway.

Right now I consider entering a mathematical program with a CS minor (basically math and theoretical cs with algorithms and such). Alternatively doing something similar to a double major in CS and math. And in either alternative somehow getting some economy and finance courses in there. After this I would get an appropriate masters degree.

But I don't know what kind of jobs this could lead to. Apart from staying in academia, would I just be competing for the engineering jobs with actual engineers? Should I reconsider and choose a different path altogether?

My question:

What academic routes do you recommend for someone who has a computer science passion, would love to have a big focus on mathematics (not only applied but more proofs etc) and possibly a touch of economical modeling.

And what jobs are available that incorporate these subjects?

I would be extremely grateful to hear the experienced PF community share their insight.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello and welcome to the forum! It's great that you are considering different options for your academic path and taking the time to explore your interests. It's important to find a field that you are passionate about and that will also provide you with fulfilling career opportunities.

Based on your interests in computer science, mathematics, and economics, I would recommend looking into programs in data science or data analytics. These fields involve using mathematical and computational tools to analyze and interpret data in order to make informed business decisions. They often involve a combination of computer science, mathematics, and business courses, so it may align well with your interests.

As for job opportunities, there is a growing demand for data scientists and analysts in various industries such as finance, healthcare, and technology. These roles often involve working with large datasets and using programming languages and statistical methods to extract insights and solve complex problems. With your background in computer science and mathematics, you may have a competitive advantage in these positions.

I hope this helps guide your decision-making process, but ultimately it's important to choose a path that you are passionate about and will lead to a fulfilling career. Good luck with your university applications!

Related to Combining math, cs and economy - Job prospects?

1. How does combining math, computer science, and economy benefit job prospects?

Combining these fields provides a unique skillset that is highly valued in today's job market. Math skills allow for data analysis and problem-solving, computer science skills enable efficient processing and analysis of large datasets, and knowledge of economics provides an understanding of market trends and business strategy. This combination of skills makes individuals highly sought after for positions in various industries, such as finance, technology, and consulting.

2. What specific job roles can I pursue with a background in math, computer science, and economy?

Some popular job roles for individuals with this skillset include data scientist, financial analyst, business analyst, market researcher, and management consultant. However, there are many other roles in industries such as banking, insurance, and government that require a strong understanding of these three fields.

3. Do I need to have a degree in all three subjects to have good job prospects?

No, it is not necessary to have a degree in all three subjects to have good job prospects. While a background in all three is ideal, having a degree in one or two and gaining knowledge and skills in the other fields through courses, internships, or self-study can also make individuals competitive in the job market.

4. How can I showcase my skills in math, computer science, and economy to potential employers?

One way to showcase your skills is by creating a portfolio or resume that highlights your knowledge and experience in these fields. You can also participate in relevant projects, competitions, or internships to gain practical experience and demonstrate your abilities. Networking and attending job fairs can also help you connect with potential employers and showcase your skills.

5. What industries have the highest demand for professionals with a background in math, computer science, and economy?

Industries such as finance, technology, consulting, healthcare, and government have a high demand for professionals with a combination of these skills. However, almost every industry can benefit from individuals who can use data and economic principles to make informed decisions and solve complex problems.