Combining like terms in a physics problem

In summary, the problem involves expressing a vector in terms of unit vectors and finding its magnitude and direction. The given vectors are A and B, with components A_x = 3.60cos(70deg.), A_y = 3.60sin(70deg.), B_x = -2.4cos(30deg.), and B_y = -2.4sin(30deg.). The vector C is equal to 3.00A - 4.00B. To find the magnitude and direction of C, we use the unit vectors i-hat and j-hat to express C in terms of its components. Adding the like terms of i-hats and j-hats, we get C = (3.69i
dark-ryder341
This is for a first year university question in Physics (Mechanics).

1. Write each vector in terms of the unit vectors i(hat) and j(hat). Use the unit vectors to express the vector C[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] where C[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] = 3.00A[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] - 4.00B[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]. Find the magnitude and direction of C[tex]\rightarrow[/tex].

Homework Equations

A[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] = Axi(hat) + Ayj(hat)
Ax = 3.60cos(70deg.)=1.23
Ay = 3.60sin(70deg.)=3.38
A[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] = 1.23i(hat) + 3.38j(hat)

B[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] = Bxi(hat) + Byj(hat)
Bx = -2.4cos(30deg.)=-2.078
By = -2.4sin(30deg.)=-1.2
B[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] = -2.078i(hat) + (-1.2)j(hat)

The Attempt at a Solution

C[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] = 3.00A[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] - 4.00B[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]
C[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] = 3.00(1.23i(hat) + 3.38j(hat)) - 4.00(-2.0781i(hat) + (-1.2)j(hat))
C[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] = (3.69i(hat) + 10.14j(hat)) - (-8.312i(hat) + (-4.8)j(hat))

I got stuck at this stage; I'm pretty sure up until now I've been doing it right, but now I'm a little confused about combining the like terms (ie. ihat with ihat and jhat with jhat terms). Would I, for instance with the jhat terms, go 10.14-(-4.8) which would give me a large positive number? or would I just go 10.14(-4.8) which equals 5.34, and then subtract it later (ie. -4.622i(hat) - 5.34j(hat))?

Basically, I just need to know what to do from here. I'm pretty sure I know how to solve for the magnitude and direction once I figure out these terms. Thanks very much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dark-ryder341, welcome to PF.

We can't help you and check your work unless you state the problem. You have only stated the question but you did not provide the given quantities. "Write each vector" implies that there are given vectors which you have but we don't. Is there a picture that goes with this?

Yes, sorry, there is a picture that goes with this:

29g02lx.jpg
That's it right there.

Thanks for any help :)

The i-hats and j-hats add just like apples and oranges. You add all the i-hats together and then separately you add all the j-hats together. That's why we use the "hats", to keep the components separate. So your first idea is correct. The j-hat component of C is 10.14-(-4.8).

Related to Combining like terms in a physics problem

1. What does it mean to "combine like terms" in a physics problem?

Combining like terms in a physics problem means simplifying an expression by grouping together terms that have the same variables and exponents. This allows us to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

2. Why is it important to combine like terms in a physics problem?

Combining like terms is important because it helps us reduce the complexity of an equation and make it easier to solve. It also allows us to identify patterns and relationships between different terms in the equation.

3. What are some common mistakes when combining like terms in a physics problem?

Some common mistakes when combining like terms include forgetting to combine terms with the same variables, incorrectly simplifying exponents, and not distributing a negative sign correctly.

4. How do you know which terms can be combined in a physics problem?

In order to combine like terms, they must have the same variable(s) and exponent(s). For example, 2x and 5x can be combined because they both have the variable x raised to the first power.

5. Can you provide an example of combining like terms in a physics problem?

Sure, let's say we have the equation F = m1a + m2a - m1g - m2g. We can combine the terms m1a and m2a because they have the same variable and exponent, giving us F = (m1 + m2)a - m1g - m2g. Then, we can combine the terms -m1g and -m2g because they also have the same variable and exponent, giving us the simplified equation F = (m1 + m2)a - (m1 + m2)g.