Combining full-time job and research

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter Ngineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Research
In summary, the individual is faced with a dilemma of having to choose between a full-time job offer and a volunteer research position with a professor in a lab. They need to keep the research position for their chances of being admitted to grad school, but also need the job for a source of income. They are wondering if it is possible to ask the employer for a reduction in hours to accommodate both opportunities. However, it is advised to take the job and fully dedicate oneself to it, as asking for a reduction in hours after accepting the job may result in the offer being withdrawn.
Ngineer
Hello everyone,

My dilemma is:
- I am a volunteer researcher with a professor in a lab
- I received a full-time job offer from a company.

I need to keep the research position because it greatly increases my chances of being admitted to grad school, and very closely related to my field of interest.
I also need to accept the job offer mainly to have a source of income, but it also is an interesting job.

Is it possible to ask the employer to reduce my hours by giving me one unpaid day off every week (a lot of the work in the lab is theoretical so it can work this way), or would that make the employer view me as uncommitted and withdraw the offer? Are there other ways of combining these two opportunities?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first rule in life is that you have to eat, so if you need a job, that has to be your priority.

Keep in mind that while research experience is important for graduate school admissions, there are a lot of ways to get it. It's quite common for undergraduate physics programs to have a senior thesis or research project course anyway. In those cases research experience on top of what you would get through your program are gravy - great to have, but you don't *need* it to get where you want to go.

You might want to talk to the PI of your research project to see how you can contribute in light of this full time job. Volunteer positions tend to be a lot more flexible than positions you're paid for.

You also might want to see how the job goes for a while. There's no absolute answer as to whether or not your employer is willing to reduce your hours to allow you to stay involved in your research - that depends on the employer and what they need you to do.

This one is easy. Take the job. After you've accepted the job let your professor know so that he/she can find a replacement, if needed. Make no mention to your new employer of reduced working hours. Your new job, if at all related to your field, and you do well, will be quite valuable when it comes time to applying to graduate school.

Ngineer said:
Hello everyone,

My dilemma is:
- I am a volunteer researcher with a professor in a lab
- I received a full-time job offer from a company.

I need to keep the research position because it greatly increases my chances of being admitted to grad school, and very closely related to my field of interest.
I also need to accept the job offer mainly to have a source of income, but it also is an interesting job.

Is it possible to ask the employer to reduce my hours by giving me one unpaid day off every week (a lot of the work in the lab is theoretical so it can work this way), or would that make the employer view me as uncommitted and withdraw the offer? Are there other ways of combining these two opportunities?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Take the job! Fully dedicate yourself to your job.

applying for a job, accepting it then asking for a reduction in hours in a lot of cases will get the position withdrawn... take the job and work around the research position.

Related to Combining full-time job and research

1. How do you balance your time between your full-time job and research?

Balancing time between a full-time job and research can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize tasks and create a schedule that allows for dedicated time for both. This may involve setting aside specific days or hours for research and communicating with your employer about your commitments. It is also crucial to practice time management and avoid procrastination.

2. How do you manage the workload of a full-time job and research simultaneously?

Managing the workload of a full-time job and research can be overwhelming, but it is essential to have effective organization and communication skills. Break down tasks into smaller, manageable chunks and prioritize them based on deadlines and importance. It is also helpful to delegate tasks when possible and seek support from colleagues or mentors.

3. What are the benefits of combining a full-time job and research?

Combining a full-time job and research can offer many benefits, such as gaining practical experience and skills through your job while also conducting research in your field of interest. It can also provide financial stability and networking opportunities with professionals in your field. Additionally, balancing both can help improve time management and multitasking abilities.

4. How do you maintain motivation to continue both your full-time job and research?

Maintaining motivation can be challenging when juggling a full-time job and research, but it is crucial to stay focused on your goals and the bigger picture. Remind yourself of the benefits of combining both and the impact your research can have. It can also be helpful to take breaks and engage in activities outside of work and research to avoid burnout and maintain a healthy work-life balance.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering combining a full-time job and research?

My advice for someone considering combining a full-time job and research is to carefully evaluate your priorities, commitments, and time management skills. It is crucial to have a clear understanding of your goals and the potential challenges that may arise. Additionally, it is essential to communicate with your employer and seek support from colleagues, mentors, or other researchers who have successfully balanced both a job and research.