Combining Chemistry & Electronics: A Necessary Path?

In summary: Yes, I am from Greece. Yes, I am interested in something other than chemistry. I would like to get a degree in digital design. I think it would be a good idea to get a degree in engineering first. I am 27 years old and I am quitting my job to go back to school for engineering. Yes, I am from Greece. Yes, I am interested in something other than chemistry. I would like to get a degree in digital design. I think it would be a good idea to get a degree in engineering first. I am 27 years old and I am quitting my job to go back to school for engineering.
CrimpJiggler
I'm in my 3rd year of a chemistry course but I have more of a passion for computers and technology than chemistry. I didn't know the difference between science and engineering before choosing this course but I've come to the conclusion that engineering is more the practical side of things, meaning it involves implementing science theory into solutions to problems and the construction of systems etc. Thats the kinda thing I'm good at and like doing so I think I should have chose an engineering course. I'm going to get this chemistry BSc but there is an electronics engineering course which I like the look of and would like to do. My countries in recession and is estimated to remain this way for at least 5 years so its not a bad time to be studying instead of working. Would there be any advantages to having a chemistry degree if I were to change course and get into electronics engineering instead? I'm not sure what field I want to get into, I would also like to get into neuroscience, someone with profound knowledge of both chemistry and electronics engineering would have lots of the tools required to get into fields involving the manipulation of the brain using electronics devices. Would it be a good idea for me to get this electronics engineering degree before going for a masters (I know you need a BSc in a science field before getting into a neuroscience course so I assume the additional degree is a masters or something) in neuroscience?

Physics news on Phys.org

engineering is basically applied science...what about chemical engineering?

EternityMech said:
engineering is basically applied science...what about chemical engineering?

Its too late to change course. I have to think about what I want to do once I'm finished this chemistry BSc. I really like technology related stuff so I wouldn't mind studying electronics engineering or computer science after this. Since my countries in a recession, there are no jobs to be had so I might as well just work on getting degrees.

CrimpJiggler said:
Its too late to change course. I have to think about what I want to do once I'm finished this chemistry BSc. I really like technology related stuff so I wouldn't mind studying electronics engineering or computer science after this. Since my countries in a recession, there are no jobs to be had so I might as well just work on getting degrees.

are you greek? well you it seems like you are interested in something completely different than chemistry alhough i have to tell you electronics is not as fun as it seems. i suggest you take a digital design course first then pick.

I have a MS in chem and if I could do it over again I would have just stuck with engineering. Now I'm 27 and quitting my chemistry job to go back to school for engineering.

Related to Combining Chemistry & Electronics: A Necessary Path?

1. What is the significance of combining chemistry and electronics?

The combination of chemistry and electronics has become increasingly important in modern society as more and more devices rely on both chemical reactions and electronic components to function. This integration allows for greater efficiency, versatility, and functionality in various fields such as energy production, healthcare, and communication.

2. How do chemistry and electronics intersect?

Chemistry and electronics intersect in many ways, such as in the development of new materials for electronic devices, the design of batteries and fuel cells, and the creation of sensors and detectors. Additionally, chemical processes are used in the production of electronic components, such as semiconductors and conductive materials.

3. What are the benefits of combining chemistry and electronics?

Combining chemistry and electronics allows for the creation of new and improved technologies that can enhance our daily lives. For example, it has led to the development of more efficient and sustainable energy sources, advanced medical devices and treatments, and faster and more reliable communication systems.

4. What challenges are involved in the integration of chemistry and electronics?

One of the main challenges in combining chemistry and electronics is finding ways to effectively control and manipulate chemical reactions at the nanoscale level. This requires a deep understanding of both fields and the development of new techniques and technologies. Additionally, ensuring compatibility and stability between chemical and electronic components can also be a challenge.

5. What advancements can we expect in the future with the continued combination of chemistry and electronics?

The possibilities for further advancements in this field are endless. We can expect to see more efficient and sustainable energy storage solutions, improved healthcare technologies and treatments, and the development of new materials with unique properties. The integration of chemistry and electronics will continue to drive innovation and shape our world in the future.