Combined system state as product of states

In summary, the combined system state of j=5/2, m=5/2 can be expressed as the product of states j1=3/2 and j2=1, which results in a state of |\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2},1,1>. This is achieved through the use of Clebsch-Gordon coefficients, following the rule that if M is equal to the sum of two spins' max m and J=M, then the states can be directly multiplied.
Sekonda
Hey,

I have to express the combined system state of j=5/2, m=5/2 in terms of the products of states j1,m1 and j2,m2.

[tex]\mid j,m> =\mid\frac{5}{2},\frac{5}{2}>\: ,\: |j_1,m_1> \& |j_2,m_2>[/tex]

I know that one way of achieving this is for j1=3/2 and j2=1 but I'm not sure how to express this - I think this is involving Clebsch-Gordon coefficients.

Thanks guys,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
Just from inspecting your J and M, it seems clear a (spin 3/2 with max m=3/2) and a (spin 1/2 with max m=1/2) would combine to that state. As a rule, if your M happens to be the sum of two particular spins' max m, then you have a straightforward product of the states at their max m.

I suppose I'm confused in how I could write that the 5/2, 5/2 state was the same as 3/2, 3/2 and a 1,1.

Would this simply be: [tex]|\frac{5}{2},\frac{5}{2}>=|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}>|1,1>[/tex]

I'm not really sure what is meant by the product of two states - what notation would be used.

or

[tex]|\frac{5}{2},\frac{5}{2}>=|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2},1,1>[/tex]

I've always used the first one, myself. Not sure about the second.

Right cool, I thought so to but I'm just a bit confused with my notes - I have two very similar way of writing it. Cheers.

Also, I should add another condition to my rule above.

As a rule, if your M happens to be the sum of two particular spins' max m and J=M, then you have a straightforward product of the states at their max m. This holds true if you replace instances of "max" with min" in the previous sentence.

Indeed, this makes sense. Thanks for the help DocZaius!

Related to Combined system state as product of states

1. What is a combined system state?

A combined system state refers to the overall state or condition of a system that is made up of multiple individual components or subsystems. It is essentially the product of the states of each individual component.

2. Why is it important to consider the combined system state?

Considering the combined system state allows us to understand how the individual components interact and affect the overall functioning of the system. It also helps us identify potential issues or weaknesses in the system that may arise from the combination of states.

3. How is the combined system state calculated?

The combined system state is calculated by multiplying the states of each individual component. For example, if the state of one component is represented by the variable A and the state of another component is represented by the variable B, then the combined system state would be A x B.

4. Can the combined system state change?

Yes, the combined system state can change as the states of the individual components change. For example, if the state of one component increases or decreases, it can affect the overall combined system state.

5. How can the combined system state be used in research?

The combined system state can be used in research to analyze and model complex systems, such as ecosystems or social networks. It can also be used to predict the behavior or outcomes of a system based on the individual component states.