Combined cycle gas turbines (solar and natural gas)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a combined cycle gas turbine with natural gas and solar troughs as an energy source for a town in Australia. There is confusion over the physics behind the turbine and generator, and the cost of implementing this energy source is also questioned. The conversation also mentions the use of a waste heat recovery unit to increase efficiency, but notes that it may not be a practical investment.
Lumique
Not sure if I've posted it on the correct thread but I don't think this classifies as advanced physics!
I'm currently doing a physics assignment where we have to choose an energy source for a town in Australia (Broome).
I am choosing to use a combined cycle gas turbine with natural gas as the main source and solar troughs to partially mitigate green house gases and make use of renewable energy sources around the place.

I am just wanting to ask and confirm whether my physics is right...
So using CSP, the reflective surfaces focus the sunlight on a focal point where there is heating oil (or another substance) which heats up and is transferred to heat water into steam and that steam drives a turbine. The turbine is then connected to a generator which is a coiled wire that is spinning in a magnetic field which induces a current (here's where I get confused). Is there any other way of saying that in terms of Faraday's Law? And what then happens with the transformer?

At the same time, the natural gas is mixed with air and ignited to produce CO2, H2O and heat and that is pressurised to spin the turbine and the heat from those hot gases are used to heat more water into steam.

Just a few random questions if anyone knows the answer.
-What is the approximate cost of a CNG carrier
-Cost of building a combined cycle power station
-Cost of parabolic troughs? I have not been able to find any sources to tell me the price!

Thank you if you can help in any way!

Physics news on Phys.org
The turbine is then connected to a generator which is a coiled wire that is spinning in a magnetic field which induces a current (here's where I get confused). Is there any other way of saying that in terms of Faraday's Law? And what then happens with the transformer?

Usually a generator is a spinning magnet whose magnetic field cuts through stationary coils of wire, generating an electric current.

The electric potential (voltage) of the generator is relatively low and therefore impractical for long transmission lines. A transformer steps up the voltage for efficient transmission.

Combined cycle usually refers to a gas turbine (or diesel) generator with a waste heat recovery unit (WHRU) or exhaust gas boiler in the flue, the heat recovered from the exhaust gas is turned into steam, to drive a steam turbine and increase the overall efficiency of the plant. The big problem with combined cycle is that you have to make a large investment in plant for a relatively small gain in efficiency, what you propose to do is introduce another layer of complexity for an even smaller gain.

Related to Combined cycle gas turbines (solar and natural gas)

What is a combined cycle gas turbine?

A combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) is a power generation technology that combines the use of a gas turbine and a steam turbine in a single power plant. It is designed to achieve high efficiency and low emissions by using both natural gas and solar energy as fuel sources.

How does a combined cycle gas turbine work?

A CCGT plant works by using a gas turbine to convert natural gas into mechanical energy, which is then used to drive a generator to produce electricity. The hot exhaust gases from the gas turbine are then used to heat water and produce steam, which drives a steam turbine to generate additional electricity. The combination of these two turbines results in a highly efficient power generation process.

What are the advantages of using a combined cycle gas turbine?

There are several advantages to using a combined cycle gas turbine. Firstly, it is a highly efficient technology, with some plants achieving efficiencies of up to 60%. It also has lower emissions compared to traditional coal-fired power plants, making it a more environmentally friendly option. Additionally, the use of natural gas and solar energy as fuel sources makes it a more sustainable and cost-effective choice.

What are the main components of a combined cycle gas turbine?

The main components of a combined cycle gas turbine include a gas turbine, steam turbine, heat recovery steam generator (HRSG), and a generator. The gas turbine is the primary source of power generation, while the steam turbine and HRSG work together to produce additional electricity. The generator converts the mechanical energy from the turbines into electrical energy.

How does solar energy contribute to a combined cycle gas turbine?

Solar energy can be integrated into a combined cycle gas turbine in several ways. One method is by using solar panels to generate electricity, which can then be fed into the power plant's grid. Another way is by using solar thermal energy to heat the water in the HRSG, increasing the efficiency of the steam turbine. Some CCGT plants also use solar energy to preheat the natural gas before it enters the gas turbine, further improving efficiency.