Combinatorics of a phi4 interaction

In summary: You can have different permutations of the external lines, but also different orientations for the arrows on the propagators. In summary, the number of inequivalent diagrams for a 2 -> 4 scattering process in phi4 theory is 15 and this is calculated by considering the different ways the 6 external points are paired at each of the three vertices (6!/(3! x (2!)^3)) and taking into account the symmetry of the triangle and the permutations of the two legs at each vertex. However, for more complicated theories such as those involving fermions and gluons, the number of diagrams can increase significantly due to the presence of arrows on propagators.
CAF123
Gold Member
Consider the one loop correction to a 2 -> 4 scattering process in phi4 theory.The only IPI/non snail contributions is that shown in the attachment. I have an automated package that will do all the feynman diagram generation for me and for this process it returns 15 diagrams, which means to say there are 15 inequivalent permutations of the external momenta. My question is basically how to derive this number?

If we draw the diagrams with 2 always incoming and 4 outgoing, then there are just 2! permutation of the incoming and 4! permutation of the outgoing. There are 6! permutation of all external lines naively and it seems that 6!/(2! x 4!) = 15, but I don't understand how this makes sense. Also, 5!/((2!)^3 = 15 which I can sort of make an argument for but I don't think it's a solid argument.

So,
a) what counts as an inequivalent diagram?
b) what is the correct combinatoric argument that gives rise to 15?

Attachments

• phi4_2_6.png
    phi4_2_6.png
    998 bytes · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
The different diagrams of this topology are characterized by how the 6 external points are paired at each of the three vertices. For the pair at vertex 1 you have ##\binom{6}{2}=6!/(4! 2!)=15## possibilities. For the pair at vertex 2 then there remain ##\binom{4}{2}=4!/(2! 2!)=3## possibilities and then the other pair is fixed, but now we've over counted the possibilities since all diagrams which only differ by a cyclic permutation of the vertices are in fact the same diagram, i.e., we have to divide by the number of cyclic permutations of the three vertices, i.e., by ##3!/2=3##. So you get 15 different topologies and thus 15 diagrams.

Thanks! Yes, I just realized we can allow for permutation of the vertices, so that the number of diagrams is 6!/(3! x (2!)^3) = 15 after dividing throughout by the size of the symmetry group of triangle and the permutations of each of the two legs at the three vertices. I suppose this 'cyclic permutation of vertices' argument doesn't work beyond scalar theories because then we can allow for our propagators to carry arrows so the number of diagrams increases? e.g the 2-> 4 scattering for two incoming fermions (psi/psibar) and four outgoing fermions(psi,psi,psibar,psibar) has 48 contributions with gluon propagators.

Then it gets indeed more complicated, exactly for the reason you mention!

Related to Combinatorics of a phi4 interaction

1. What is the phi4 interaction in combinatorics?

The phi4 interaction is a mathematical model used to describe the interactions between particles in a system. It is based on the phi4 field theory, which is a type of quantum field theory that helps to explain the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. In combinatorics, the phi4 interaction is used to study the ways in which particles can interact and combine with each other.

2. How is the combinatorics of a phi4 interaction studied?

The combinatorics of a phi4 interaction is studied using techniques from combinatorial mathematics and quantum field theory. This involves analyzing the possible combinations and interactions of particles in a system, and using mathematical models and equations to describe these interactions.

3. What are the practical applications of studying the combinatorics of a phi4 interaction?

Studying the combinatorics of a phi4 interaction has practical applications in various fields, including particle physics, materials science, and computer science. It helps researchers to better understand the behavior of particles and how they interact, which can lead to the development of new materials, technologies, and computational methods.

4. What are some key concepts in the combinatorics of a phi4 interaction?

Some key concepts in the combinatorics of a phi4 interaction include Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions, and perturbation theory, which is a mathematical technique used to calculate the probability of a certain particle interaction occurring.

5. What are some challenges in studying the combinatorics of a phi4 interaction?

One of the main challenges in studying the combinatorics of a phi4 interaction is the complexity of the mathematical models and equations involved. It also requires a deep understanding of both combinatorial mathematics and quantum field theory, making it a highly specialized area of research. Additionally, as with many areas of particle physics, there may be limitations in our current technology and experimental methods that make it difficult to directly observe and study these interactions.