Aluminium and Bleaching What Happens?

• Thread starter KLscilevothma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminium
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential consequences of dipping a piece of metal, such as aluminium, into a bleaching solution containing hyprochlorite ions. The speaker recalls reading in a newspaper that household bleach should not come in contact with metal, and speculates that this may be due to the production of poisonous gases like chlorine. The conversation also considers the possibility of household bleach damaging metal structures, but concludes that more information is needed before attempting any experiments at home.
KLscilevothma
I would like to ask what will happen if I dip a piece of metal like aluminium into bleaching solution, which contains hyprochlorite ions?

Biology news on Phys.org
Simple enough to find out, no?

few days ago in newspaper, it said that we should avoid household bleach in contact with metal. I don't know why though. I think i shan't do experiments like this at home. I guess poisounous gas like chlorine gas may produce but I'm not sure.

it has metal in it, should it avoid itself?

I'm referring to metals, not metal ions.

Originally posted by KL Kam
few days ago in newspaper, it said that we should avoid household bleach in contact with metal. I don't know why though. I think i shan't do experiments like this at home. I guess poisounous gas like chlorine gas may produce but I'm not sure.
Did it say what kind of metal? I would think it depends on what kind of bleaching solution you have and what kind of metal you put in it.
It's probably wise not to try it at home without finding out more.

It didn't mention what kind of metal shouldn't be put in household bleach, so I guess it refers to any kind of metal, at least the reactive ones like aluminium. According to my textbook, the active ingredient in household bleach is hyprochlorite ion,OCl-

hyprochlorite ion + metal (for example Aluminium)
OCl- + Al

(metals are strong reducing agents and they tends to loss electrons)

3OCl- + Al ------> Al(OCl)3 + 3e- ??
not a disastrous reaction!

I start to think in another direction. Is it because household bleach can damage metals and their structure, like damaging window frames?

1. What is the role of aluminium in the bleaching process?

Aluminium is often used as a catalyst in the bleaching process, helping to speed up the chemical reactions that break down pigments and stains. It also helps to stabilize the bleaching agents and make them more effective.

2. How does aluminium affect the color of fabrics?

When aluminium is used in bleaching, it breaks down the chemical bonds that give fabrics their color. This results in a loss of color, making the fabric appear lighter or whiter.

3. Is aluminium safe to use in bleaching?

Yes, aluminium is considered safe to use in bleaching as it is non-toxic and non-corrosive. It is also biodegradable, making it an environmentally friendly option.

4. Can aluminium be used in all types of bleaching processes?

Aluminium can be used in most types of bleaching processes, including both chlorine and oxygen-based bleaching. However, it is not suitable for use with certain types of fabrics, such as silk and wool, as it can cause damage.

5. How is aluminium removed from bleached fabrics?

After the bleaching process is complete, the aluminium is typically removed through a rinsing process. This ensures that no traces of aluminium remain on the fabric, which could potentially cause damage or irritation.