Combinatorics, alphabet/bitstrings

I still don't think he understands but I am just going to leave it. Thank you for the help!In summary, for the first conversation, the number of bitstrings of length 11 that contain three more 0's than 1's is 11C4. For the second conversation, the number of strings of 5 lowercase letters from the Latin alphabet containing the letter c is 26^5 - 25^5, the number containing both c and d is 2*(26^5 - 25^5) - (26^5 - 24^5), and the number containing c and d with c preceding d and all letters distinct is 4C1*24*23*22, or 4
Panphobia

Homework Statement

1)How many bitstring of length 11 contain three more 0's than 1's?

2)How many string of 5 lowercase letters from the Latin alphabet contain:
a) the letter c?
b) the letters c and d?
c) the letters c and d in consecutive positions with c preceding d and all letters distinct?
d) the letters c and d, when c is somewhere to the left of d in the string and all letters are distinct?

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1) I got 11C4

2a) I got 26^5 - 25^5
b) 26^5 - 24^5
c) 4C1*2!*24*23*22/2!... I am not sure at all about this one, my logic is that I take away c and d from the sample size, then divide by 2! to get the arrangement where c is infront of d.
d) 5C2*2*1*24*23*22/2! I am not sure about this one either, I am basically choosing two positions for c and d, subtracting 2 from 26, then multiplying 2*1 to choose from the c and d, then randomly choosing letters for the remaining spots, then dividing by 2! to get the arrangement where c is to the left of d.

Can you guys point out which ones are right and which ones are wrong? Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 2a and 2b what are you using or your formula?
I would normally look at 5c1*25^4+5c2*25^3+.,.
For 1 C, 2 C's and so on to 5 C's.
If you are using a streamlined formula I would be interested to know more.

RUber said:
If you are using a streamlined formula I would be interested to know more.
In 2a, Panphobia is simply subtracting those that do not contain c from all possible strings of 5 letters.
Panphobia, 2b is wrong. 24^5 is the number that contain neither c nor d, so subtracting from 26^5 yields the number containing ... what?
I agree with your answers to 2c and 2d, though you could have avoided the *2/2 by thinking about it slightly differently: having chosen the two spots for c and d, their individual positions are fixed by the ordering condition.

Then 2b could the answer be 5C2*2*24*23*22

Panphobia said:
Then 2b could the answer be 5C2*2*24*23*22
No, why do you think it could be that? The 24*23*22 looks like distinct letters, which is not a condition here.
(Hint: principle of inclusion and exclusion.)

Oh yea I was looking at a completely different problem sorry haha. Also why is 26^5 - 24^5 wrong? Wait is it because that will give strings of length 5 that have either c or d or both? (I am kind of guessing now) I am thinking it is 2*(26^5-25^5)-(26^5-24^5)

Last edited:
That's right , so you would just have to add back in the cases with c and not d and d and not c.

Is the answer 2*(26^5-25^5)-(26^5-24^5)
Since if AUB = A + B - A∩B so A∩B = A + B - AUB = (26^5-25^5) + (26^5-25^5) - (26^5 - 24^5)

Also is my answer to 1) correct?

Last edited:
Panphobia said:
Is the answer 2*(26^5-25^5)-(26^5-24^5)
Since if AUB = A + B - A∩B so A∩B = A + B - AUB = (26^5-25^5) + (26^5-25^5) - (26^5 - 24^5)
Yes, though using the inclusion/exclusion formula you can just write down 26^5 - 2*25^5 + 24^5. In words: those using 26 letters, minus thus not using c, minus those not using d, plus those using neither c nor d (because we've subtracted those twice).

My teacher says 2b is wrong he says it is 5C1*4C1*26^3 why is mine wrong?

Panphobia said:
My teacher says 2b is wrong he says it is 5C1*4C1*26^3 why is mine wrong?
I'm afraid your teacher is wrong. I can see what he is doing: pick one of five to be a C, pick one of the remaining four to be a D, then fill in the rest. But this counts some patterns more than once. E.g. CDCAA gets counted twice, first by picking the first position to place a C and later filling in CAA arbitrarily in the last 3 positions; and again picking the third position to be a C then filling in the 1st, 4th and 5th positions arbitrarily.
Stick with the answer you have.
If your teacher is unpersuaded, try it with a simpler set-up, a three letter alphabet and three positions. Sequences containing A and B:
AAB, ABA, BAA, ABB, BAB, BBA, plus the six permutations of ABC = 12 = 33-2.23+13, not 3C1.2C1.31 = 18.

haruspex said:
I'm afraid your teacher is wrong. I can see what he is doing: pick one of five to be a C, pick one of the remaining four to be a D, then fill in the rest. But this counts some patterns more than once. E.g. CDCAA gets counted twice, first by picking the first position to place a C and later filling in CAA arbitrarily in the last 3 positions; and again picking the third position to be a C then filling in the 1st, 4th and 5th positions arbitrarily.
Stick with the answer you have.
If your teacher is unpersuaded, try it with a simpler set-up, a three letter alphabet and three positions. Sequences containing A and B:
AAB, ABA, BAA, ABB, BAB, BBA, plus the six permutations of ABC = 12 = 33-2.23+13, not 3C1.2C1.31 = 18.
Yea same with the first one, he put 5C1*26^4 but that is wrong by your logic too, I tried going up to him in class but he didn't understand fully the way I did I so he told me to email him.

Related to Combinatorics, alphabet/bitstrings

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and organizing objects or elements in different ways. It involves the study of combinations, permutations, and other methods of calculating the number of possible outcomes in a given situation.

2. What are alphabet/bitstrings?

An alphabet is a set of symbols or characters used to represent a language or code. In combinatorics, bitstrings refer to a string of binary digits (0 or 1) that can be used to represent a sequence of letters or symbols from an alphabet.

3. How is combinatorics used in computer science?

Combinatorics is used in computer science for tasks such as data compression, error-correction codes, and cryptography. It also plays a crucial role in the design and analysis of algorithms, particularly in optimization problems.

4. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations are arrangements of objects where the order matters, while combinations are arrangements where the order does not matter. For example, ABC and BAC are different permutations, but they represent the same combination.

5. How is combinatorics related to probability?

Combinatorics and probability are closely related as they both deal with counting and calculating the likelihood of events. In probability, combinatorics techniques are used to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given sample space, which is then used to determine the probability of a specific event occurring.