Combinations - selecting 7 persons

In summary, there are two possible ways to select seven people from five Indian, four British, and two Chinese. If at least two people are to be selected from each country, then you must choose two Chinese forced, at least two British, and two Indians. So you have 180 possibilities. The last term, 3 Indians+2 British, yields an answer booklet with the answer "100." In both scenarios, you have selected the same set of people, but you counted them separately. The correct answer is 5C2=5!/(3!2!), or 600.
rajatgl16
In how many ways 7 persons can be selected from 5 indian, 4 british and 2 chinise, if atleast 2 are to be selected from each country.

Physics news on Phys.org

you have to choose two chinese forced, at least two british and two indians, and one between british or indian. so you have

1*[tex]\frac{4!}{2!2!}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{4!}{2!2!}[/tex]*(3+2)=180

the last term: 3 indians+2 british

Last edited:

hey I have answer booklet (not solution). And in it answer given is "100".

I tried it as,
At least 2 persons have to be slected form each country so :

ways of selecting 2 persons from 5 indians is 5C2

ways of selecting 2 persons from 4 british is 4C2

ways of selecting 2 persons from 2 chinese is 2C2

Thus ways of slecting 6 persons form entire group is 5C2 * 4C2 * 2C2

Now 1 person has to be selected from remaining 3 Indians and 2 british and 0 chinese

possible way of selceting 1 person is 5C1

Thus final answer to select 7 persons is 5C2 * 4C2* 2C2 * 5C1=300 so its also wrong

for nCk you mean n!/(k!*(n-k)!) ? If yes we computed the same thing, or better, you are right, I've done an error in the third factor, it is actually 5C2=5!/(3!2!), for me it's 600, but i made the same reasoning as you did, and i think it's right, if we understand the problem correctly.

Then may be ans in my ans booklet is wrong.

You've overcounted some. Imagine the British people are labeled A,B,C and D.

Scenario 1: You pick two British, A and B. Then you pick two Indians. Then you pick your last person from the five remaining people and pick person C.

Now imagine instead you pick two British, A and C. You pick the same two Indians as before. You pick your last person from the five remaining people and the person is B.

In both situations you've picked the same set of people but you counted them separately

Officeshredder is right. There are two possible situations, you pick 2 chinese 3 british and 2 indians or you pick 2 chinese 2 british and 3 indians, so you have
2C2*4C3*5C2+2C2*4C2*5C3=100

Hmm. I was wrong. Thanks guys for helping me,

Related to Combinations - selecting 7 persons

What is the formula for calculating the number of combinations when selecting 7 persons?

The formula for calculating combinations is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of individuals and r represents the number of individuals being selected.

How many combinations are possible when selecting 7 persons from a group of 10?

There are 120 possible combinations when selecting 7 persons from a group of 10. This can be calculated using the formula nCr = 10! / 7!(10-7)! = 120.

What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations refer to the number of ways a group of items can be selected without regard to order, while permutations refer to the number of ways a group of items can be selected with regard to order.

How does the number of combinations change when selecting from a larger group of individuals?

The number of combinations will increase as the size of the group increases. This can be seen in the formula nCr, where the larger the value of n, the greater the number of possible combinations.

What are some real-world applications of combinations when selecting 7 persons?

Combinations are used in various fields such as statistics, genetics, and computer science. Some examples of real-world applications include selecting a jury of 7 individuals, choosing a team of 7 players for a sports tournament, and creating a password using 7 characters from a set of possible options.