Help with Couple of Calculus Problems

In summary, the first question asks for the velocity of a particle moving along the x-axis, and the second asks for the work done in stretching a spring by a certain amount. The third asks for the area of a region bounded by y=sin2x and y=cosx. Finally, the fourth asks for the volume of a solid generated by rotating a region about the x-axis.
BaNZai
Hello, I am completely stumped by some of these problems, and have no where else to get help, can anyone help me with these problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

1. The function v(t)=12t(squared) - 16t is the velocity in m/sec of a particle moving along the x-axis, where t is measured in seconds. Use analytic methods to find the particles displacement for 0<(greater than or equal to)t<(less than or equal to)5. (round to nearest 10m). (Note: just t is squared in the equation, and it's 0 to 5 including both 0 and 5) (I got 120m but it doesn't seem right)

2. A certain spring obeys Hooke's Law and requires a force of 10N to stretch it 8cm beyond its natural length. How much work would be done in stretching it to 12cm beyond its natural length? (Note: I got 90N*m but I'm not sure if it's right)

3. Find the area of the region enclosed by y=sin2x and y=cosx for -(negative)PI/2 greater than or equal to X less than or equal to PI/6. (I got -4.5 which seems completely wrong :frown: )

These next two I had no idea how to do

4. The base of a solid is the region between the line y=4 and the parabola y=x(squared). THe cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis are semi-circles. Find the volume of the solid.

5. A region is bounded by the lines: y=(square root of)X , y= X-2, and y=0. Find the volume of the solid generated by rotating this region about the x-axis.

THanks again for any help, sorry if it is too much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you show your work so we can see where you're having trouble?

cookiemonster

For first question:
by integrating your velocity function, you'll get

4t^3 - 8t^2, with limits on t: 0 to 5 seconds

applying the limits, you'll get 300m which is surely not what you were getting

For your second question:
since, F = Kx
find K using F1 = 10 KN and x1 = 0.08m

Now using this K and x2=0.12 m find F2. Your required work done is '(1/2) F2 x2'

note: F2 or x2 doesn't mean a 'square'

Xishan

Suggestion:
use 0<=t<=5 instead of what you've written, this will make your question more readible

Xishan

So, your range of 'X' for the third question is
-pi/2 <= X <= pi/6

Now draw the two curves on a graph so that you have a clear idea of the shape of the two and hence the limits (I hope you haven't missed this elementry step for your problem) OK!
Next thing you must do is to calculate the areas in the positive and negative regions seperately.
Now take a differential strip parallel to y with its upper and lower bounds defined by the two functions. the area of the strip is defined by (y2-y1)dx. Replacing y1 and y2 with the respective functions and knowing your limits on x, you can now evaluate the areas.

Xishan

Your statement of fourth question is not too clear, let me guess!

You have a half paraboid with its axis parallel to y OK!, limits on y are 0 to 4 and limits on x are defined by the funciton y = x^2
if this is what you mean then you can you can use the Pipus theorem to solve this problem. take half of this parabola then calculate its area and centroid, now multiply this area with the distance its centroid covers in order to complete the paraboloid by revolving around y axis. this distance should be 'pi(a)' where a is the centroid about y.

Xishan

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It has two main branches: differential calculus, which focuses on the rate of change of a function, and integral calculus, which deals with the accumulation of quantities.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it is widely used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It allows us to model and analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

3. What are the basic concepts in Calculus?

The basic concepts in Calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. Derivatives measure the rate of change of a function at a given point. Integrals are used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity.

4. How can Calculus be applied to real-world problems?

Calculus can be applied to real-world problems by using its concepts to model and analyze real-world situations. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum profit of a business, the trajectory of a projectile, or the growth rate of a population.

5. What are some tips for solving Calculus problems?

Some tips for solving Calculus problems include understanding the basic concepts, practicing regularly, and breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable steps. It is also important to check your work and make sure it is both correct and makes sense in the context of the problem.