Combinations of algebraic functions

In summary: But why are we taking these lines out of the summation?We're not taking them out of the summation. We're just representing the summation in a different form. The original summation is just the expanded version of the final line.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

f(x)= [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] g(x)=2√x

Find (f+g)(x)

Homework Equations

Sorry, first post in the homework help section. What do I put here?

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

(f+g)(x)=[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + 2√x
=x([itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + 2√x)
= 1 + 2x√x
= 1 + 2√x[itex]^{3}[/itex]
= 1 + 2x[itex]^{\frac{3}{2}}[/itex]The solution in the back of the book is showing the answer as:

= [itex]\frac{1 + 2x^{\frac{3}{2}}}{x}[/itex]Where is the x in the denominator coming from? I multiplied the entire equation by x to clear the fraction, so the way I'm seeing it, there shouldn't be a denominator, right? What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The very first line is the correct solution (which they then put over a common demonimator). You then multiplied by x for no reason on the second line

QuantumCurt said:

Homework Statement

f(x)= [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] g(x)=2√x

Find (f+g)(x)

Homework Equations

Sorry, first post in the homework help section. What do I put here?

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

(f+g)(x)=[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + 2√x
=x([itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + 2√x)
= 1 + 2x√x
= 1 + 2√x[itex]^{3}[/itex]
= 1 + 2x[itex]^{\frac{3}{2}}[/itex]

The solution in the back of the book is showing the answer as:

= [itex]\frac{1 + 2x^{\frac{3}{2}}}{x}[/itex]

Where is the x in the denominator coming from? I multiplied the entire equation by x to clear the fraction, so the way I'm seeing it, there shouldn't be a denominator, right? What am I missing?

You can't just 'multiply by x'. That changes the function. You CAN multiply by x and then divide by x. That's doesn't change anything.

Where is the x[itex]^{3/2}[/itex] part coming from? Do I just multiply the 2√x by x to get that part? How is the x in the denominator under the 2√x getting there?

Dick said:
You can't just 'multiply by x'. That changes the function. You CAN multiply by x and then divide by x. That's doesn't change anything.

Ok, so I worked it out correctly, but I just need to divide the whole thing by x at the end to restore it to the original value?

Thanks for the help.

I can't just put the 2√x over a denominator of x without changing the 1/x part, can I? That still doesn't get the x^(3/2) part anyway. Like I said, I feel like I'm missing something pretty obvious here.

QuantumCurt said:
I can't just put the 2√x over a denominator of x without changing the 1/x part, can I? That still doesn't get the x^(3/2) part anyway. Like I said, I feel like I'm missing something pretty obvious here.

You are missing the fact that
[tex] \frac{a}{b} + c = \frac{a + bc}{b}[/tex] Apply this to ##a = 1, \; b = x, \; c = 2\sqrt{x} = 2 x^{1/2}##.

Ray Vickson said:
You are missing the fact that
[tex] \frac{a}{b} + c = \frac{a + bc}{b}[/tex] Apply this to ##a = 1, \; b = x, \; c = 2\sqrt{x} = 2 x^{1/2}##.

Ahhh...Ok, that makes sense now. I don't know why that wasn't occurring to me. I'm in trig right now, and we're working through the algebra review section currently, all of it has been incredibly simple, but for some reason this one just wasn't clicking.

Thanks for the help.

So...

(f+g)(x)= [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + 2[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{1+(x)(2x^{1/2})}{x}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{1+2x^{3/2}}{x}[/itex]

Right?

I've got to play around some more with all of the entry methods for math symbols here, this is a pretty cool system. I'm sure I'll be using it some more in the future.

QuantumCurt said:
So...

Right?

I've got to play around some more with all of the entry methods for math symbols here, this is a pretty cool system. I'm sure I'll be using it some more in the future.

Right. And, yes, TeX is very nice. I probably should use it more.

QuantumCurt said:
So...

Right?I've got to play around some more with all of the entry methods for math symbols here, this is a pretty cool system. I'm sure I'll be using it some more in the future.

And a tip for using latex, don't do things like
[itex ]\frac{1}{x}[/itex ] + 2[itex ]\sqrt{x}[/itex ]

Just wrap the entire expression in tags:
[itex ]\frac{1}{x} + 2\sqrt{x}[/itex ]

And I'd also suggest you use tex tags [tex ] ... [/tex ] when you want to post an expression on its own line, and keep the itex tags for when you want to post the expression on the same line as your text. The reason for this is that itex on separate lines will run into each other as you can see in your post. So for example:

Math can be as easy as [itex ]2+2=4[/itex ] but suddenly it can be as hard as solving simultaneous equations [tex ]x+y=2[/tex ] [tex ]2x+y=3[/tex ]

which becomes

Math can be as easy as [itex]2+2=4[/itex] but suddenly it can be as hard as solving simultaneous equations [tex]x+y=2[/tex] [tex]2x+y=3[/tex]

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully this comes out a lot clearer.

[tex] f(x)=\frac{1}{x} \quad g(x)=2\sqrt{x}[/tex]
[tex] (f+g)(x)=\frac{1}{x} + 2\sqrt{x}[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{1+(x)(2x^{1/2})}{x}[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{1+2x^{3/2}}{x}[/tex]

Much better :smile:

Related to Combinations of algebraic functions

1. What are combinations of algebraic functions?

Combinations of algebraic functions refer to mathematical expressions that involve more than one algebraic function, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. These combinations can be simplified or solved using various algebraic techniques.

2. What is the difference between a combination of algebraic functions and a single algebraic function?

A single algebraic function involves only one type of operation (e.g. addition or multiplication) and may have one or more variables. A combination of algebraic functions, on the other hand, involves more than one type of operation and may also have multiple variables. For example, 3x + 2y is a combination of algebraic functions because it involves both addition and multiplication, and has two variables (x and y).

3. How can combinations of algebraic functions be simplified?

Combinations of algebraic functions can be simplified using various algebraic techniques, such as factoring, expanding, and combining like terms. The goal is to reduce the expression to its simplest form by eliminating any unnecessary terms or simplifying the coefficients.

4. Can combinations of algebraic functions be solved?

Yes, combinations of algebraic functions can be solved using algebraic techniques such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. The solution is typically a set of values for the variables that make the expression true.

5. How are combinations of algebraic functions used in real life?

Combinations of algebraic functions are used in a wide range of real-life applications, such as calculating profit and loss in business, determining the trajectory of a projectile in physics, and analyzing data in statistics. They are also used in engineering, economics, and many other fields to model and solve complex problems.