Solution to quddusaliquddus's cont func. questions if you want it

• Thread starter matt grime
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding continuous functions from R to R that satisfy a given mathematical equation. It is noted that there are non-constant solutions, such as 2^{x^2}, and the reason for this is explored. The solution of f_k(x) = k^{x^2} is mentioned as a complete set of solutions, with the possibility of g_k = -f_k also being a solution. The conversation ends with the comment that there may be other solutions that were missed.
matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Quddusaliquddus stop reading if you don't want the solution.

OK?

Stopped?

Right, to find all cont, functions from R to R satisfying f(x+y)f(x-y) = (f(x)f(y))^2

put x=y=0 to see f(0)^2=f(0)^4 ie f(0) =0 1 or -1

also x=y shows f(0)f(2x)=f(x)^4

so f(0)=0 implies f=0

if f(0)=1 then we see the relation

f(2x)=f(x)^4

if you're stupid you get mixed up and conclude that only the constant solution f=1 works. Then you realize that there are obviously non-constant solutions, duh! such as 2^{x^2} so you figure out why these ones are the only kind:

so, let f(1) = k

then f(2)=k^4, f(4)=k^16, hmm, f(3) can be got from f(3)f(1)=(f(2)f(1))^2

and pretty soon you realize that for every integer n, f(n)=k^{n^2}

now you go on to think, but we can do it for all rationals with powers of 2 in the denominator, and it works there, and as they're dense in the reals you see that actually f_k(x) = k^{x^2} forms a complete set of solutions (well, there's the solutions g_k = -f_k but whose counting).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Lol...I must say you have unbounded enthusiasm for maths! Shall i post the answer I got from someone else? It looks slightly different, so you might be interested.

I'd certainly like to know if I've missed something.

if you're stupid you get mixed up and conclude that only the constant solution f=1 works.

I hope this comment wasn't directed at me because of my question in the other thread... ;)

nope, it was directed at me, sorry if you thought it was meant for someone else.

1. What is the solution to quddusaliquddus's continuous function questions?

The solution to quddusaliquddus's continuous function questions is not a single answer, as it depends on the specific questions being asked. However, it generally involves finding the limit of the function, proving the function is continuous, or using the intermediate value theorem.

2. How do I approach solving quddusaliquddus's continuous function questions?

The best approach to solving quddusaliquddus's continuous function questions is to carefully read and understand the question, identify any given information or known conditions, and then apply relevant mathematical concepts and theorems to find the solution.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving quddusaliquddus's continuous function questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving quddusaliquddus's continuous function questions include not correctly identifying the type of function (e.g. piecewise, rational, trigonometric), not checking for continuity at all points, and not using the correct theorem or approach for the given problem.

4. Are there any tips or strategies for solving quddusaliquddus's continuous function questions?

Yes, some tips and strategies for solving quddusaliquddus's continuous function questions include drawing a graph or diagram to visualize the problem, using algebraic manipulation to simplify the function, and breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. Can I access additional resources for solving quddusaliquddus's continuous function questions?

Yes, there are many online resources available for solving quddusaliquddus's continuous function questions, such as math forums, tutorials, and practice problems. You can also consult with a math tutor or teacher for additional guidance and support.