Combination of 3 springs at given angles

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time period of vibration for a body of mass m connected to three springs with spring constant k, at angles of 90 degrees and 135 degrees between two springs and 120 degrees between any two adjacent ones. The solution method involves vectorially adding two spring constants and taking components along an axis of symmetry to determine the total force.
watermlon
Three springs of spring constant kare connected to a body of mass m and rigid supports, so that the angles are
A 90 degrees between two and 135 degrees between each of these two and the third.
B 120 degrees between any 2 adjacent ones.
Find time period of vibration.
I worked out a method to solve this question. I added 2 of the spring constants vectorially, first dividing each by the cos of half of the angle between them (45 and 60 degrees) and the third simply as k to get a net spring constant. This gave a correct answer but I don't remember what logic I used and it may not have been correct. Could someone show me the correct solution?
diagram
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac182/watermlon/df.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

watermlon said:
I added 2 of the spring constants vectorially, first dividing each by the cos of half of the angle between them (45 and 60 degrees) and the third simply as k to get a net spring constant. This gave a correct answer but I don't remember what logic I used and it may not have been correct.

Hi watermlon! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What matters is the components of force in each direction.

If the extension vectors are x y and z (these are not coordinate directions), then the forces are k1x + k2y + k3z

in this case, k1 = k2 = k3 = k,

so the total force is k(x + y + z), and you correctly took components along an axis of symmetry (the total of components along the perpendicular axis would be zero). :wink:

Thanks, tim. I understand it now.

Related to Combination of 3 springs at given angles

1. What is the purpose of combining 3 springs at given angles?

The purpose of combining 3 springs at given angles is to create a system that can provide a more complex range of motion and force compared to a single spring. This can be useful for various applications such as in mechanical systems, robotics, and even in the human body.

2. How do you calculate the overall force of a combination of 3 springs at given angles?

The overall force of a combination of 3 springs at given angles can be calculated by adding the individual forces of each spring using vector addition. The direction of the resultant force will depend on the angles at which the springs are attached.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a combination of 3 springs at given angles?

The behavior of a combination of 3 springs at given angles is affected by several factors such as the stiffness of the individual springs, the angles at which they are attached, and the overall configuration of the system. Other external factors such as temperature and weight placed on the springs can also affect their behavior.

4. Can the combination of 3 springs at given angles be used to create a stable system?

Yes, the combination of 3 springs at given angles can be used to create a stable system as long as the forces and angles are carefully chosen and balanced. This is often achieved by using springs with different stiffness values and arranging them in a specific configuration.

5. Are there any limitations to using a combination of 3 springs at given angles?

One limitation of using a combination of 3 springs at given angles is that it can be more complex and difficult to control compared to a single spring system. It also requires careful design and analysis to ensure the desired behavior and stability of the system. Additionally, the springs may experience wear and tear over time, which can affect their behavior and performance.