Combination: 3 boys with 7 chairs

• Thread starter Michael_Light
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, there are 4 possible ways for the 3 boys to be seated in a straight line of 7 chairs if they cannot sit next to each other, assuming the boys are indistinguishable. This can be determined by pairing each occupied chair with an adjacent vacant chair, resulting in B pairs (3 in this case) and C+1-2B vacant chairs (7+1-2*3=2 in this case).
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

Suppose there is 7 chairs arranged in a straight line, each of the 3 boys will sit randomly on one of the chair . In how many ways the boys can be seated if the 3 boys cannot sit next to each other? Assume that the boys are indistinguishable.

I listed out all the possible outcomes (which is 10), but i believe there is a generalized way to find the answer. Can anyone enlighten me?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let O represent seat occupied by the boys and X is empty seat.

Possible outcomes:

XOXOXOX
XOXOXXO
XOXXOXO
XXOXOXO
OXXOXOX
OXOXXOX
OXOXOXX
OXXOXXO
OXOXXXO
OXXXOXO

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael_Light said:

Homework Statement

Suppose there is 7 chairs arranged in a straight line, each of the 3 boys will sit randomly on one of the chair . In how many ways the boys can be seated if the 3 boys cannot sit next to each other? Assume that the boys are indistinguishable.

I listed out all the possible outcomes (which is 10), but i believe there is a generalized way to find the answer. Can anyone enlighten me?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let O represent seat occupied by the boys and X is empty seat.

Possible outcomes:

XOXOXOX
XOXOXXO
XOXXOXO
XXOXOXO
OXXOXOX
OXOXXOX
OXOXOXX
OXXOXXO
OXOXXXO
OXXXOXO

Using 'b' for 'boy' and 'e' for 'empty', start with bebeb and just figure out how many ways to add the two remaining 'e's.

For a generalized approach, suppose C chairs and B boys, same restriction. Each occupied chair, except the rightmost, must have a vacant chair on its right. To handle that exception, introduce an extra chair on the right, guaranteed vacant. So we can pair up each occupied chair with that adjacent vacant chair, making B such pairs and C+1-2B other vacant chairs. Can you proceed from there?

haruspex said:
For a generalized approach, suppose C chairs and B boys, same restriction. Each occupied chair, except the rightmost, must have a vacant chair on its right. To handle that exception, introduce an extra chair on the right, guaranteed vacant. So we can pair up each occupied chair with that adjacent vacant chair, making B such pairs and C+1-2B other vacant chairs. Can you proceed from there?

Got it. Your hint is very useful. Thanks.

Related to Combination: 3 boys with 7 chairs

What is the purpose of "Combination: 3 boys with 7 chairs"?

The purpose of "Combination: 3 boys with 7 chairs" is to explore the mathematical concept of combinations, specifically with three boys and seven chairs.

What is a combination in mathematics?

In mathematics, a combination is a way of selecting items from a larger group without regard to the order in which they are selected.

How many combinations are possible with 3 boys and 7 chairs?

There are 35 possible combinations with 3 boys and 7 chairs. This can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being selected.

What is the difference between a combination and a permutation?

A combination is a selection of items without regard to order, while a permutation is a selection of items with regard to order. In other words, combinations are about choosing, while permutations are about arranging.

What other real-life situations can be modeled using combinations?

Combinations can be used to model situations such as selecting a team from a larger group of players, choosing a meal from a menu, or picking a group of lottery numbers. Essentially, any situation where the order of selection does not matter can be modeled using combinations.