Colorado Boulder physics undergrad

In summary: It depends on your goals and what you think you can gain from a second degree in engineering. For example, if you want to pursue a career in engineering, it may be worth it. However, if you are just looking to increase your earning potential, you may be better off pursuing a different degree. It all depends on your individual situation.
Delta31415
So recently I was accepted into CU Boulder COS&A for physics :)
I was wondering how good is the physics program( I know its good but I have heard bad things as well). how good is it education wise(research-wise I know it's near the NIST), however, its a large state school does this impact it negatively?
just give me your personal opinions

also thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, congratulations! CU-Boulder is a really good school for physics, especially in AMO (atomic, molecular, and optical) research. Being a large state school is not necessarily a bad thing. Plus it's in one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Likes Delta31415
Dishsoap said:
First of all, congratulations! CU-Boulder is a really good school for physics, especially in AMO (atomic, molecular, and optical) research. Being a large state school is not necessarily a bad thing. Plus it's in one of the most beautiful places in the country.

thanks! what I was talking about being a large state school is I would prefer not to deal with 600+ student classes where your just a number( however since I have never had a big class in my life, take what I said with a grain of salt).

Congratulations x2!
From my experience (very limited as I'm a sophomore at a large state school), classes can be very large or quite small. The large ones, and the largest I've seen is ~200, are the ones that everyone has to take. This would include all your gen eds, but more specifically classes that other students in similar majors also need to take. For example, a Physics degree at my university requires Calculus 1,2,3, Linear Algebra, Diff Eq, Physics I, and Physics II before you can even start your "actual" Phys classes. These classes are very large because many other degrees require them as well (engineering disciplines, math, etc). However after these classes are completed, and you can take classes that are much more specific, the class sizes shrink dramatically. Just out of curiosity, I looked to see how many students were enrolled in QM I for this semester at my school and it was 8 students.
This is strictly speaking from my personal observations at my university, so it could definitely be different in other areas.

Likes Delta31415
Not many Physics programs are worth digging a big debt hole for. The question most students should be asking is closer to, "Is program A enough better than program B in my home state to justify incurring $YYY,YYY more in debt?" If you are looking at six figures of debt, the answer is probably no.

If a program is in your home state, you probably still need to compare your total costs and expected debt of multiple options. Most recent high school grads can save close to $40-$50k over the course of 4 years by living at home and commuting to a closer school.

Likes Delta31415
Dr. Courtney said:
Not many Physics programs are worth digging a big debt hole for. The question most students should be asking is closer to, "Is program A enough better than program B in my home state to justify incurring $YYY,YYY more in debt?" If you are looking at six figures of debt, the answer is probably no.

If a program is in your home state, you probably still need to compare your total costs and expected debt of multiple options. Most recent high school grads can save close to $40-$50k over the course of 4 years by living at home and commuting to a closer school.

thanks for the tips also I plan to pursue a double degree in both physics and engineering does the same idea of not worth it if it cost too much also applies to engineering schools? Or just physics. However, if I get enough scholarships and UC Boulder becomes affordable is it worth it in your opinion.

Related to Colorado Boulder physics undergrad

1. What is the undergraduate physics program like at the University of Colorado Boulder?

The undergraduate physics program at the University of Colorado Boulder is highly regarded and offers a comprehensive curriculum that covers all major areas of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics. The program also emphasizes hands-on learning through laboratory experiments and research opportunities.

2. How long does it take to complete the physics undergraduate program at CU Boulder?

The physics undergraduate program at CU Boulder typically takes four years to complete. However, the length of the program may vary depending on factors such as course load, credits transferred, and participation in research opportunities.

3. What types of research opportunities are available for undergraduates in the physics program at CU Boulder?

As a major research university, CU Boulder offers a wide range of research opportunities for undergraduate students in the physics program. These may include participating in faculty-led research projects, working in research labs, and conducting independent research under the guidance of a faculty mentor.

4. Are there any specializations or concentrations offered in the physics undergraduate program at CU Boulder?

Yes, the physics undergraduate program at CU Boulder offers specializations in several areas, including astrophysics, biophysics, and high energy physics. Students can also choose to concentrate on a specific subfield such as condensed matter physics or particle physics.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates of the physics undergraduate program at CU Boulder?

Graduates of the physics undergraduate program at CU Boulder have a wide range of career options, including research positions in industry or academia, teaching, and technical roles in various fields such as engineering and data science. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in physics or other related fields.