Color of a mirror on the Earth

In summary, a mirror placed on the ground will reflect the colors of things seen from space, but blue and red will be predominant depending on the time of day.
accdd said:
There are many solar power plants using large mirrors on earth. Their color as seen from the satellite is blue.
View attachment 317079
(source google maps: planta solar 10 Spain)
I have another question: if I have a photo of the sky taken with a smartphone, can I get physically meaningful data from the colors in the picture? Or can the RGB matrix I get cannot be used for anything?
A picture speaks a thousand words! I’m embarrassed that someone else thought of posting one.
I’d just add that a long trip up through the atmosphere would reduce the blue/green component and pull the resultant towards the original 6k(ish) white from the Sun.

My only question would be whether that image is actually from a satellite. I remember reading that a lot of the original Google images were in fact from surveillance aircraft

Plus the possible colour balancing of the Google images could have purposely biased the images to ‘look like’ we’re used to. But the point is more or less proved that what is seen up there is ‘a sky blue’. 🙂👍🏼

<h2>1. What is the color of a mirror on the Earth?</h2><p>The color of a mirror on the Earth is typically silver or gray. This is because mirrors are made of a thin layer of metal, such as aluminum or silver, which reflects most of the light that hits it. This reflection gives the mirror its characteristic shiny appearance.</p><h2>2. Why does a mirror appear silver or gray?</h2><p>A mirror appears silver or gray because it reflects most of the light that hits it. This is due to the metal coating on the back of the mirror, which reflects the light back to our eyes. The color we see depends on the type of metal used and the quality of the mirror's surface.</p><h2>3. Can a mirror have a different color?</h2><p>Yes, a mirror can have a different color if it is coated with a different material. For example, some mirrors are coated with a thin layer of gold, giving them a slightly yellow tint. Other mirrors may have a colored tint applied to the back of the mirror, giving it a different color when viewed from the front.</p><h2>4. Does the color of a mirror change depending on the angle of light?</h2><p>Yes, the color of a mirror can change depending on the angle of light. This is due to the way light reflects off the mirror's surface. When the angle of light changes, the angle of reflection also changes, which can affect the color we see. This is why a mirror may appear slightly different colors when viewed from different angles.</p><h2>5. Is the color of a mirror affected by its surroundings?</h2><p>Yes, the color of a mirror can be affected by its surroundings. This is because the mirror reflects the colors of objects around it. For example, if a red object is placed in front of a mirror, the mirror may appear to have a slightly reddish tint. This is due to the reflection of the red light from the object onto the mirror's surface.</p>

Related to Color of a mirror on the Earth

1. What is the color of a mirror on the Earth?

The color of a mirror on the Earth is typically silver or gray. This is because mirrors are made of a thin layer of metal, such as aluminum or silver, which reflects most of the light that hits it. This reflection gives the mirror its characteristic shiny appearance.

2. Why does a mirror appear silver or gray?

A mirror appears silver or gray because it reflects most of the light that hits it. This is due to the metal coating on the back of the mirror, which reflects the light back to our eyes. The color we see depends on the type of metal used and the quality of the mirror's surface.

3. Can a mirror have a different color?

Yes, a mirror can have a different color if it is coated with a different material. For example, some mirrors are coated with a thin layer of gold, giving them a slightly yellow tint. Other mirrors may have a colored tint applied to the back of the mirror, giving it a different color when viewed from the front.

4. Does the color of a mirror change depending on the angle of light?

Yes, the color of a mirror can change depending on the angle of light. This is due to the way light reflects off the mirror's surface. When the angle of light changes, the angle of reflection also changes, which can affect the color we see. This is why a mirror may appear slightly different colors when viewed from different angles.

5. Is the color of a mirror affected by its surroundings?

Yes, the color of a mirror can be affected by its surroundings. This is because the mirror reflects the colors of objects around it. For example, if a red object is placed in front of a mirror, the mirror may appear to have a slightly reddish tint. This is due to the reflection of the red light from the object onto the mirror's surface.