Color in matrix element calculation

In summary: In any case, I already have the 4-momenta for my process.In summary, the conversation is about calculating the matrix element of a process where an incoming upp quark and gluon interact via an upquark and emit a photon and an upquark. The gluon vertex introduces a color factor t^a which needs to be handled and the matrix element also includes the color part of the quark. The diagram of the process appears strange as it involves external gluon lines and coupling to a triplet representation. The process is a part of a pp collision and the four-momenta of the quark and gluon are known.
kaksmet
Hello!

I am trying to calculate the matrix element of the process where an incoming upp quark and gluon interact via an upquark and emit a photon and an upquark.

---u(p1)->--~~gamma(p3)~~
|​
|​
u(q)​
|​
|​
~~g(p2)~~~-------u(p4)-------

from the gluon vertex I get a color factor [tex]t^a[/tex] which I am not sure how to handle. My matrix element then looks like this
[tex]\bar{u}^s(p_4)ig_s \gamma^{mu}t^a\epsilon_{\mu}(p_2)\frac{\gamma^{\alpha}q_{\alpha} + m}{q^2-m^2}\epsilon^*_{\nu}(p_3)iQ_ue\gamma^{\nu}u^s(p_1)[/tex]

But there must be something that I am missing, since [tex]t^a[/tex] is a matrix it seems like my matrix element has the matrix dimensions of [tex]t^a[/tex]. Should I include a color part of the u quark? And if so, how does that work? Any reference where I could read more about it?

Thanks a lot for any imput!

Physics news on Phys.org
kaksmet said:
Hello!

I am trying to calculate the matrix element of the process where an incoming upp quark and gluon interact via an upquark and emit a photon and an upquark.

---u(p1)->--~~gamma(p3)~~
|​
|​
u(q)​
|​
|​
~~g(p2)~~~-------u(p4)-------

from the gluon vertex I get a color factor [tex]t^a[/tex] which I am not sure how to handle. My matrix element then looks like this
[tex]\bar{u}^s(p_4)ig_s \gamma^{mu}t^a\epsilon_{\mu}(p_2)\frac{\gamma^{\alpha}q_{\alpha} + m}{q^2-m^2}\epsilon^*_{\nu}(p_3)iQ_ue\gamma^{\nu}u^s(p_1)[/tex]

But there must be something that I am missing, since [tex]t^a[/tex] is a matrix it seems like my matrix element has the matrix dimensions of [tex]t^a[/tex]. Should I include a color part of the u quark? And if so, how does that work? Any reference where I could read more about it?

Thanks a lot for any imput!
The quarks are carrying color indices as well:
[tex]\bar{u}_i \ldots (t^a)_{ik} \ldots u_k[/tex]

But you diagram looks strange; I am not sure if you can couple the quark-photon in the same representation as the quark-gluon part.

tom.stoer said:
The quarks are carrying color indices as well:
[tex]\bar{u}_i \ldots (t^a)_{ik} \ldots u_k[/tex]

But you diagram looks strange; I am not sure if you can couple the quark-photon in the same representation as the quark-gluon part.

Thanks for the help with the color part, will try do continue with it now.

However, could you elaborate a bit more about why the diagram would be wrong? I do not quite understand what you mean with "in the same representation"? How would you otherwise draw a diagram where a quark first emits a photon and then absorbs a gluon (or the other way around)?

I do not say that it's wrong, but that the process you are trying to calculate looks rather strange. Usually you do not have external gluon lines.

"In the same representation" is misleading, sorry for that. What I mean is the following (I hope I remember correctly): usually QCD processes go from color singlet to color singlet; but a quark plus a gluon couple to 3*8 = 3*(3*3') which does not yield a singlet but a triplet as smallest rep. This is afaik due to the 3' which is the conjugate rep. of 3 (in SU(2) the doublet 2 and the conjugate doublet 2' are identical, in SU(3) this is no longer true).

In SU(3) you can couple 3*3*3 = 1 + higher reps. but for 3*3*3' this does not work. This is what I mean by "in the other representation".

Enforcing a color singlet condition means that your incoming state is unphysical. So your process has to be part of something more complex which I do not understand.

My process is a part of a pp collision, where a quark and a gluon from respective proton interact.

So you now both the four-momentum of the quark and of the gluon e.g. from the structure functions of the proton?

Well, either that or alternatively that I will integrate over the momentum fractions in a later part of the calculation.

Related to Color in matrix element calculation

What is color in matrix element calculation?

Color in matrix element calculation refers to the quantum mechanical property of particles known as color charge. This property is associated with the strong nuclear force and is carried by particles called gluons. In quantum chromodynamics, color is described as a three-dimensional vector space with three color charges: red, green, and blue.

How is color used in matrix element calculation?

In quantum chromodynamics, color is used to explain the interactions between quarks and gluons, the elementary particles that make up protons, neutrons, and other hadrons. The color charge of these particles determines how they interact with each other and how they are affected by the strong nuclear force.

Why is color important in matrix element calculation?

Color is important in matrix element calculation because it is a fundamental property of particles and plays a crucial role in explaining the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. Without considering color, our understanding of the strong nuclear force and the structure of matter would be incomplete.

How is color represented in matrix element calculation?

In quantum chromodynamics, color is represented as a mathematical concept using a color charge vector with three components: red, green, and blue. This vector is used in calculations to determine the interactions between particles and the strength of the strong nuclear force.

What are some practical applications of studying color in matrix element calculation?

Studying color in matrix element calculation has practical applications in various fields, including particle physics, nuclear physics, and cosmology. Understanding the strong nuclear force and the interactions between particles can help us develop technologies such as nuclear energy and medical imaging. It also allows us to gain insights into the early universe and the formation of matter in the universe.