Collisions, using conservation of Energy

In summary: In the frame of the light, they do.In summary, a small mirror will be deflected by a very small angle due to the falling of light. The mirror will gain potential energy from the reflected light, and the only way the mirror could have gotten this energy is from the light's momentum. The angle at which the mirror balances the force of the momentum of the light is determined by trigonometry.
Prannoy Mehta

Homework Statement

A small mirror of area A and mass m is suspended in a vertical plane by a weightless string. A beam of light of intensity I falls normally on the mirror and the string is deflected from the vertical by a very small angle A. Assuming the mirror to be perfectly reflecting, to obtain an expression for A.

Ans: 2IA/(mgc), where c is the speed of light.

Homework Equations

Energy should be conserved in the entire system. If the mirror moves up by an angle it has gained potential energy, and the only way which it could have got this is from light. But E=Hf (f is the frequency of light) so the light's frequency decreases upon complete reflection. What am I missing ?

The Attempt at a Solution

None, I do not understand why the mirror moves in the first place. I do not understand what am I missing from Conservation of energy. Or is the question totally incorrect.

Thank you for all the possible help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea you are missing is that light carries momentum. The momentum light carries is proportional to the energy it transmits. Since you are working on this problem and posted it in the homework section I will presume you can find the proportion in your text.

So the mirror will feel a force. The light presumably reflects with 100% efficiency, so you get a factor of 2.

So you need to work out the force on the mirror from reflecting light. And you do that by working out how much energy per second is reflected, and doing the correct proportion to get force from change in momentum.

Then you need to work out the angle that just balances this force. Remember your small-angle formulas for trig functions.

Light carrying momentum, also implies that it has, which is no true. Right? (I am not sure). I understand that in the question we will be applying the change of momentum to the mirror, conservation of momentum will again says it will loose momentum, which does not happen; keeping c constant.

I have assumed the concept to be right, I have done the following but I still seem to be getting the wrong answer:

P=IA --- (1)
P= Fv = 2mv^2/t -- (2)

Substituting (2) in (1) we will obtain in expression: t = 2mv^2/(IA)

tan X = F/mg (Assuming light imparts force F on the mirror, let the angle be X to avoid confusion.)

Since X is very small tan X is approximately X

X = F/mg = 2v^2/gt

Substituting for t, we obtain,

X= IA/ (mgv) = IA/ (mgv), not the correct answer according the text. (I have given the answer in the text in the question)

Ok, I presumed wrong when I presumed you could look up the momentum of light as a function of energy. Well, I won't just give it to you. So you must read about photons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon

Once you know what the momentum of a given amount of energy is in the form of photons, then ask yourself, what happens to the momentum of a photon when it reflects off a mirror? So for a given amount of energy hitting the mirror, how much momentum is imparted to the mirror?

I am sorry, for not looking it up. I will do it now, and get back to you as soon as possible.

Prannoy Mehta said:
Light carrying momentum, also implies that it has, which is no true. Right? (I am not sure). I understand that in the question we will be applying the change of momentum to the mirror, conservation of momentum will again says it will loose momentum, which does not happen; keeping c constant.
You meant, has no mass, right?
This is a key concept, photons have momentum even though they have no mass. When you find the formula, you will discover that the loss of momentum can be accounted for even though c is constant. Also, whether the photons lose momentum depends on your reference frame. In the frame of the mirror, they don't.

Related to Collisions, using conservation of Energy

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to collisions?

In collisions, the total amount of kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total amount of kinetic energy after the collision. This means that energy is conserved in a collision, even if the objects involved change their velocities and direction of motion.

3. Can the conservation of energy be applied to all types of collisions?

Yes, the conservation of energy can be applied to all types of collisions, including elastic and inelastic collisions. In elastic collisions, the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy, while in inelastic collisions, some energy is lost as the objects stick together or deform.

4. How is the kinetic energy of an object calculated in a collision?

The kinetic energy of an object in a collision can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This equation applies before and after the collision to determine the total kinetic energy of the object.

5. What other principles are involved in collisions, besides the conservation of energy?

In addition to the conservation of energy, collisions also involve the conservation of momentum and the laws of motion, specifically Newton's third law which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. These principles work together to determine the outcome of a collision.