Collision with an unknown mass and velocity after

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 2 kg block sliding on an icy surface and colliding with a static block of mass M. The initial and final velocities of the 2 kg mass are given, and the equations used to solve for the mass M and final velocity of M are provided. The resulting values are v2f = 2 m/s and M = 4 kg, with the assurance that they are correct.
fantisism

Homework Statement

You slide a 2 kg block on a flat icy surface towards a static block of mass M. Before the collision, the 2 kg mass is moving at 3 m/s. The total kinetic energy is not changed by the collision. After the collision, the 2 kg mass is moving at −1 m/s i.e. opposite to its original direction. Calculate the mass M in kg and the velocity of the mass M after the collision.

Homework Equations

Eq 1.) 0.5mv1i2+0.5Mv2i2=0.5mv1f2+0.5Mv2f2
Eq 2.) mv1i+Mv2i=mv1f+Mv2f

The Attempt at a Solution

I got v2f=2 m/s and M=4 kg. I solved for M for the second equation and substituted that in into the first equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
fantisism said:

Homework Statement

You slide a 2 kg block on a flat icy surface towards a static block of mass M. Before the collision, the 2 kg mass is moving at 3 m/s. The total kinetic energy is not changed by the collision. After the collision, the 2 kg mass is moving at −1 m/s i.e. opposite to its original direction. Calculate the mass M in kg and the velocity of the mass M after the collision.

Homework Equations

Eq 1.) 0.5mv1i2+0.5Mv2i2=0.5mv1f2+0.5Mv2f2
Eq 2.) mv1i+Mv2i=mv1f+Mv2f

The Attempt at a Solution

I got v2f=2 m/s and M=4 kg. I solved for M for the second equation and substituted that in into the first equation.
What is your question then? That result is correct.

ehild said:
What is your question then? That result is correct.
Oh sorry. I just wanted to make sure those were right because I tend to make small simple math errors. Thank you!

You are welcome:oldsmile:

Related to Collision with an unknown mass and velocity after

1. What is a collision with an unknown mass and velocity after?

A collision with an unknown mass and velocity after refers to an event in which an object collides with another object whose mass and velocity are not known beforehand. This can lead to unpredictable outcomes and is often studied in the field of physics.

2. How is the outcome of a collision with an unknown mass and velocity after determined?

The outcome of a collision with an unknown mass and velocity after is determined by the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. These laws dictate that the total momentum and energy before the collision must equal the total momentum and energy after the collision.

3. Can the mass and velocity of the objects involved in a collision with an unknown mass and velocity after be calculated?

Yes, the mass and velocity of the objects involved in a collision with an unknown mass and velocity after can be calculated by analyzing the resulting forces and motion of the objects. This can be done using equations such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of kinematics.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of a collision with an unknown mass and velocity after?

The outcome of a collision with an unknown mass and velocity after can be affected by factors such as the objects' masses, velocities, and angles of collision. Other factors such as the objects' elasticity, surface friction, and external forces can also play a role in determining the outcome.

5. How is a collision with an unknown mass and velocity after relevant in scientific research?

A collision with an unknown mass and velocity after is relevant in scientific research as it allows scientists to study the behavior of objects in motion and the effects of collisions on these objects. This research can have applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.