Collision problem, conservation of momentum

In summary, we are given a problem of a collision between two particles with different masses and velocities. In the first part, where the collision is elastic, the final velocities are calculated to be 7ms^-1 for the 3kg particle and 17ms^-1 for the 2kg particle. In the second part, where the final velocities are not parallel to the initial velocities, we have three equations and four unknowns. To maximize the angle for v_1, we need to understand the relationship between the angles and how they depend on each other. This will help us choose an appropriate relationship to manipulate and find the maximum value for v_1.
Blue_Angel
Mod note: Homework type question moved from technical forum hence no template
A particle of mass 3kg moving at 15ms^−1 collides with one of mass 2 kg moving at 5ms^−1 in the same direction. Calculate the velocities after the collision
i. the collision is elastic.
ii. Suppose that in the collision of part (i), the final velocities are not parallel to the initial velocities,

So I have the answer to part i: it's 7ms^-1 for 3kg particle and 17ms^-1 for the 2kg particle
I also have equations for the second part:
suppose for the 3kg particle its final velocity is v_1 at an angle to the horizontal of theta_1...

for momentum: 55=3*v_1*cos(theta_1)+2*v_2*cos(theta_2)
v_1*sin(theta_1)=v_2*sin(theta_2)
for kinetic energy: 725=3(v_1)^2+2(v_2)^2

Can anyone help me finish this by maximising the angle for v_1 i.e.theta_1

Physics news on Phys.org
Play with the relationships so you understand them ... how do the angles depend on each other? Is one of them always bigger than the other? Does one get bigger while the other gets smaller? Can either angle be 90deg?
This should help you figure out a strategy.

Basically you have 3 equations and 4 unknowns - so you will be expressing one of the unknowns in terms of another one ... there will be a range of values that satisfy the equation. You have to use your understanding to pick an appropriate relationship to maximize.

Related to Collision problem, conservation of momentum

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal forces or external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to collision problems?

In collision problems, the conservation of momentum is used to analyze the motion of objects before and after a collision. By applying the principle of conservation of momentum, we can calculate the velocity and direction of objects involved in the collision.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

4. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where momentum is conserved, but kinetic energy is not. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. This results in a decrease in the total kinetic energy after the collision.

5. How is the conservation of momentum used in real-world applications?

The conservation of momentum is used in many real-world applications, such as analyzing car crashes, calculating the orbits of planets and satellites, and designing airbags and other safety devices. It is also used in industries like aerospace and automotive to ensure the safety and efficiency of their products.