Collision of Two Protons: Separation at Momentary Stop

In summary, the initial kinetic energy of 0.15 MeV for two protons hurled straight at each other can be converted to 2 * 0.15 * 1x10^6 (1.6x10^-19) joules. Using this energy and the formula q^2 / (4 pi eps0 dstop) = 2 * 0.15 * 1x10^6 (1.6x10^-19) joules, the separation of the protons can be calculated to be 4.58e-15 meters.
ohheytai
Two protons that are very far apart are hurled straight at each other, each with an initial kinetic energy of 0.15 MeV, where 1 mega electron volt is equal to 1x10^6 (1.6x10^-19) joules. What is the separation of the protons from each other when they momentarily come to a stop?

i got 4.58e-13 and it was wrong someone please help me i think i have no idea how to do this

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi ohheytai! :smile:

(you meant 1.6 10-19 J)

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help :smile:

initial kinetic energy = 2 * 0.15 * 1106 (q) Joules.
q^2 / (4 pi eps0 dstop) = 2 * 0.15 * 1106 (q)
1 / (4 pi eps0 dstop) = 0.3 * 1106 / q
dstop = q / 0.3*1106*4*pi*eps0
yaaa as you can see I am losttt

hi ohheytai! :smile:

(have a pi: π and an epsilon: ε :wink:)

i'm confused :confused:

what is 1106?

and can you please write it out more clearly? :smile:

1x10^6 sorry

i just redid it and got 4.58e-15 i think that's right is it?

Related to Collision of Two Protons: Separation at Momentary Stop

What is the "Collision of Two Protons: Separation at Momentary Stop"?

The "Collision of Two Protons: Separation at Momentary Stop" refers to an experiment conducted at particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, where two protons are accelerated to near the speed of light and then made to collide with each other. At the moment of collision, the protons separate and their energy is converted into new particles that can help scientists understand the fundamental building blocks of matter.

Why do scientists study the collision of two protons?

The collision of two protons allows scientists to study the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. By analyzing the particles produced in these collisions, scientists can test and refine theories about the nature of matter and the fundamental forces that govern it.

How do scientists separate the protons after they collide?

At the moment of collision, the energy of the protons is converted into new particles. These particles are then detected and analyzed by the particle detectors surrounding the collision point. Based on the characteristics of these particles, scientists can determine the original energy and direction of the protons, allowing them to separate and track their paths after the collision.

What is the significance of studying the separation of protons at momentary stop?

Studying the separation of protons at momentary stop provides valuable insights into the fundamental forces and particles of the universe. It allows scientists to test and refine theories about the nature of matter and the fundamental interactions between particles. This research also has practical applications in areas such as medical imaging and energy production.

Can the collision of two protons have any negative effects?

No, the collision of two protons does not have any negative effects. The protons used in these experiments are extremely small and the energy produced in the collisions is not enough to cause any harm. The safety of these experiments is carefully monitored and regulated by international collaborations and governing bodies.