Collision of Two Cars: Calculating Velocity

The summary is that by using the momentum equations and solving for the final velocity, it can be determined that the cars will have a velocity of 12.6 m/s after the collision.
VelvetRebel

Homework Statement

A 850 kg car is traveling west at 25.0 m/s when it collides with a 1050 kg car that was initially traveling north at 10.5 m/s. The cars lock together, and eventually skid to a stop.
What is the velocity of the cars immediately after the collision?

Homework Equations

pi=pix i + piy j + piz k

The Attempt at a Solution

I got an answer but I'm not sure if it is correct. I just need someone to verify if what I did is correct.
Here's what I did:
I found pi using the equation above and then took the magnitude of that to find pf as shown below:

(-(850 kg)(25.0 m/s) i)2 + ((1050 kg)(10.5 m/s) j)2=pf2

I then took the pf value and set that equal to the total mass times the velocity:

2.39 x 104 kg*m/s=(850 kg + 1050 kg)v

I then solved for v to get the following:

v=12.6 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct.

To verify this answer, we can use the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In this case, we can calculate the total initial momentum as:

p_initial = (850 kg)(25.0 m/s) + (1050 kg)(10.5 m/s) = 21,250 kg*m/s + 11,025 kg*m/s = 32,275 kg*m/s

And the total final momentum as:

p_final = (850 kg + 1050 kg)(v) = 1,900 kg*v

Setting these two values equal to each other and solving for v, we get:

32,275 kg*m/s = 1,900 kg*v

v = 32,275 kg*m/s / 1,900 kg = 17.0 m/s

This confirms that the velocity of the cars immediately after the collision is 17.0 m/s, which is different from the value you calculated. This could be due to a mistake in the calculations or assumptions made. It's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure all units are consistent in your equations. Additionally, it's important to consider any external factors that could affect the outcome of the collision, such as friction or air resistance. Overall, it's important to approach scientific problems with caution and verify your results to ensure accuracy.

Related to Collision of Two Cars: Calculating Velocity

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a car collision?

To calculate the velocity of a car collision, you need to know the masses of the two cars, the speed at which they were traveling before the collision, and the angle at which they collided. Using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy, you can then calculate the velocity of the cars after the collision.

2. What factors can affect the velocity of a car collision?

The velocity of a car collision can be affected by several factors, including the mass and speed of the cars, the angle of the collision, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance. The type and condition of the vehicles involved can also impact the velocity of the collision.

3. Can the velocity of a car collision be determined after the fact?

Yes, the velocity of a car collision can be determined after the fact by analyzing the damage to the vehicles and any other evidence from the scene of the accident. However, the accuracy of the calculation may be affected by the amount of time that has passed since the collision and any changes to the scene or vehicles.

4. How can calculating the velocity of a car collision be useful in a scientific investigation?

Calculating the velocity of a car collision can be useful in a scientific investigation for several reasons. It can help determine the cause of the collision, assess the severity of the impact, and provide insights into the forces at play during the collision. This information can also be used to develop safety measures and improve vehicle design to prevent future accidents.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the velocity of a car collision?

While calculating the velocity of a car collision can provide valuable information, there are some limitations to consider. Factors such as human error in collecting data or assumptions made during the calculation process can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, the calculation may not take into account all external factors that could impact the velocity of the collision, making it an estimation rather than an exact measurement.