Collision of marbles and stones

In summary, the given information is insufficient to calculate the velocity of the stone after it has been struck. The equation used is incorrect and the statement about the rebound direction is unclear. Further information is needed to accurately solve this problem.
strawberry923
1. Question: A 100g stone rests on a fricionless horizontal surface. A marble of mass 40g, traveling horizontantally at 30m/s strikes the stone and rebunds horizontally at right angles to its original direction wiht a speed of 20m/s. What is the velocity (magnitude and direction) of the stone after it has been struck? Can you see anything wrong with this question?

i think the relevant equations are: p = final momentum - initial momentum which is here 1,2 + 0,8 = 2 kgm/s

and to look for the velocity after it has been struck i used the formula p= 2kgm/s= (mA+mB).v so the v= 2:0,14 = 14,29, but think that's not the right formula and i don't know what's wrong with this question, i think its the "at right angles" bit, that confuses me the most... can someone pleaase help? :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I can see a few potential issues with this question.

Firstly, the given information is not enough to calculate the velocity of the stone after it has been struck. We do not know the initial velocity of the stone, which is needed to calculate the final velocity using the equation p = mv. We also do not know the angle at which the marble strikes the stone, which would affect the direction of the stone's velocity after the collision.

Secondly, the equation used to calculate the velocity after the collision is incorrect. The correct equation to use is conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be expressed as m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects and v1, v2, v1', and v2' are their velocities before and after the collision, respectively.

Lastly, the statement "rebounds horizontally at right angles to its original direction" is unclear. It is not specified whether the original direction refers to the direction of the marble's velocity or the direction of the stone's velocity. This ambiguity can affect the calculation of the final velocity of the stone.

To accurately solve this problem, we would need to know the initial velocity and angle of the marble, as well as the initial velocity and angle of the stone. Without this information, it is not possible to determine the final velocity of the stone after the collision.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to Collision of marbles and stones

1. What is the difference between the collision of marbles and stones?

The main difference between the collision of marbles and stones is the material and size of the objects involved. Marbles are typically smaller and made of glass or plastic, while stones are larger and made of various types of rock. This can affect how the objects interact and the resulting impact.

2. How does the speed of collision affect the outcome?

The speed of collision can greatly influence the outcome of a collision between marbles and stones. The faster the objects are moving, the greater the force of impact and the more likely they are to shatter or break upon collision. This is due to the increase in kinetic energy.

3. Why do marbles bounce more than stones upon collision?

Marbles are designed to bounce due to their smooth, rounded surface and small size. This allows for a more elastic collision, meaning the kinetic energy is conserved and the marble retains its shape and bounces back. Stones, on the other hand, are typically rough and irregularly shaped, leading to a less elastic collision and a greater loss of kinetic energy upon impact.

4. What factors can affect the trajectory of a collision between marbles and stones?

The trajectory of a collision between marbles and stones can be influenced by factors such as the angle of impact, the surface on which they collide, and any external forces acting upon the objects. These factors can result in a change in direction or speed of the objects after collision.

5. How can the collision of marbles and stones be used in experiments or real-life applications?

The collision of marbles and stones can be used in various experiments to study the principles of motion, energy, and elasticity. In real-life applications, this concept can be applied in industries such as construction and engineering to simulate and test the impact of objects. It can also be utilized in games and sports involving objects that collide, such as billiards or bowling.