Collision of cars - calculate mass

In summary, a Civic and a Camry collide and stick together, resulting in a combined velocity of 8.38 m/s moving west. To find the mass of the Civic, the conservation of momentum equation is used, taking into account direction with appropriate signs. After correcting for direction, the mass of the Civic is calculated to be 1099.81 kg.
BobbyTee

Homework Statement

A Civic moving East at 21.48 m/s hits a 1386.25 kg Camry moving West at 32.07 m/s. After the collision, they stick together and move West at 8.38 m/s. What is the mass of the Civic?

Homework Equations

M1 x V1 + (M2+X)V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm doing something wrong, I didn't really understand my teacher.

But after plugging it all in, I got 1139 Kg.

Can anybody help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org

Show what you did. What's your equation for conservation of momentum?

Doc Al said:
Show what you did. What's your equation for conservation of momentum?

That's the whole problem, I don't know what I'm doing, which is why I came to these forums. I was expecting someone to lead me how to get the answer. Which equation to use.. etc.. I have a test tomorrow and I don't understand this.

The way we work on this forum is that you give it a shot, showing what you did and where you got stuck. And we then help you out. (Trust me, you'll get much more out if it that way.)

This is an example of an inelastic collision. Look it up in your text. You may find this helpful: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2157983&postcount=5"

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc Al said:
The way we work on this forum is that you give it a shot, showing what you did and where you got stuck. And we then help you out. (Trust me, you'll get much more out if it that way.)

This is an example of an inelastic collision. Look it up in your text. You may find this helpful: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2157983&postcount=5"

Ok so I used the M1xV1 + M2xV2 = (M1+M2)V Formula.

21.48x + (1386.25x32.07) = 8.38(1386.25+x)

Ended up with 2506.89 Kg this time. Is this right?

Last edited by a moderator:

BobbyTee said:
Ok so I used the M1xV1 + M2xV2 = (M1+M2)V Formula.
Good! That's the right formula.

21.48x + (1386.25x32.07) = 8.38(1386.25+x)
What you're doing wrong is not taking direction into account. Momentum and velocity are vectors, so direction counts. The way you include direction is by using an appropriate sign for the velocities. For example: Use + to represent East and - to represent West.

Doc Al said:
Good! That's the right formula.

What you're doing wrong is not taking direction into account. Momentum and velocity are vectors, so direction counts. The way you include direction is by using an appropriate sign for the velocities. For example: Use + to represent East and - to represent West.

Ok, did it again with the correct signs and I got 1099.81 Kg. Correct?

And what if the direction is north or south?

North = + and South = -?

BobbyTee said:
Ok, did it again with the correct signs and I got 1099.81 Kg. Correct?
Good!

And what if the direction is north or south?

North = + and South = -?
Exactly.

(It doesn't really matter which sign you use for what as long as you are consistent.)

Thanks a lot, it worked.

Related to Collision of cars - calculate mass

1. How do you calculate the mass of a car involved in a collision?

To calculate the mass of a car involved in a collision, you will need to know the velocity and momentum of the car before and after the collision. The mass can be calculated using the equation m = p/v, where m is the mass, p is the momentum, and v is the velocity.

2. What factors affect the mass of a car in a collision?

The mass of a car in a collision is affected by several factors, including the weight of the car, the speed of the car, and the direction and type of collision. The mass can also be affected by any additional objects or passengers in the car at the time of the collision.

3. How does the mass of a car impact the severity of a collision?

The mass of a car plays a significant role in the severity of a collision. A heavier car will have more momentum and will cause more damage in a collision compared to a lighter car. This is why it is important to consider the mass of a car when looking at safety ratings.

4. Can you calculate the mass of a car involved in a collision if you only know the force of impact?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the mass of a car involved in a collision if you know the force of impact. You can use the formula m = F/a, where m is the mass, F is the force, and a is the acceleration. However, this calculation may not be accurate as it assumes a constant acceleration, which is not always the case in a collision.

5. How can knowing the mass of a car help in understanding the cause of a collision?

Knowing the mass of a car can provide valuable information in understanding the cause of a collision. For example, if a smaller car is hit by a larger car, the force of the impact will be greater on the smaller car due to the difference in mass. This can help determine which car was at fault in the collision and can also help in making safety improvements to prevent similar collisions in the future.