Collision between two croquet balls

In summary, Daniel calculates that the second ball has half the original kinetic energy of the first ball.
whereisccguys
A 0.308 kg croquet ball makes an elastic head-on collision with a second ball initially at rest. The second ball moves off with half the original speed of the first ball. What is the mass of the second ball?

so i used the formula m1v1initial + m2v2initial = m1v1final + m2v2final
v2initial=0 therefore m1v1initial = m1v1final + m2v2final

i know that v1initial = v1final + v2final
and the questions tells me v2final = (1/2)v1initial

i plug everything in and i get m1(1/2)v1initial = m2(1/2)v1initial
therefore m1 = m2... but it's the wrong answer
anyone know what i did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
nm i figured it out it's not v1initial = v1final + v2final
it's v1intial = v2final - v1final

*edit* okay i dunt get the 2nd part of the question though
What fraction of the original kinetic energy gets transferred to the second ball? Do not enter units

do i use 1/2m1(v1final)^2 - 1/2m1(v1initial)^2 = 1/2m2(v2final)^2-1/2m2(v2initial)^2?

Last edited:
Hold one a second.KE is a scalar,momentum is a vector.U wrote the conservation of momentum incorrectly.Choose an axis (with a sense on it) and project the vector equation...

Daniel.

what do u mean i wrote it wrong?

U should have written
[tex] m_{1}\vec{v}_{1}+m_{2}\vec{v}_{2}=m_{1}\vec{v'}_{1}+m_{2}\vec{v'}_{2} [/tex]

and then write the scalar equation(s) by orthonormal projection.

Daniel.

m1v1initial = m1v1final + m2v2final

Yes, that's correct.

"i know that v1initial = v1final + v2final"

?? HOW do you know that? There is no "conservation of velocity" law! You are essentially ASSUMING that m1= m2 when you right that.

You are told that v2final= (1/2)v1initial so
m1 v1initial= m1 v1final+ (1/2)m1 v2final

Since this is an elastic collision, we also have conservation of energy:
(1/2)m1 v1initial2= (1/2)m1 v1final2+ (1/2) m2 v2final2

(1/2)m1 v1initial2= (1/2)m2 v1final2+ (1/2)m2 (1/4)v1initial2

m1 v1initial2= m2 v1final2+ (1/8)m2 v1initial2

You know m1 and v1initial so these two equations have two "unknowns": m2 and v1final which you can solve for.

Two answer the second question, once you know m2 and v1 final, you can calculate the initial kinetic energy of the first ball and the final kinetic energy of the second ball, then divide the second by the first (since that is a ratio, there would be no units).

aite got it thanks for the help :approve:

How does he know the initial velocity of the incoming croquet ball. It is not listed in the problem statemt. Two equations, three unknowns.

Unknowns
[tex]v_{1_{initial}}[/tex]
[tex]v_{1_{final}}[/tex]
[tex]m_{2}[/tex]

Related to Collision between two croquet balls

1. What happens to the momentum of the croquet balls during a collision?

During a collision between two croquet balls, the momentum of the balls will be conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, the individual momentums of the balls may change depending on the angle and speed of the collision.

2. Can the direction of the croquet balls change after a collision?

Yes, the direction of the croquet balls can change after a collision. This is due to the conservation of momentum and the fact that the direction of the force between the two balls can change depending on the angle of the collision. The change in direction can also be affected by the friction between the balls and the surface they are on.

3. How does the mass of the croquet balls affect the collision?

The mass of the croquet balls does not affect the collision itself, but it does affect the outcome of the collision. Heavier balls will have more momentum and therefore will be harder to stop or change direction. However, the mass of the balls does not affect the laws of physics that govern the collision.

4. Is the collision between two croquet balls an elastic or inelastic collision?

The collision between two croquet balls can be either elastic or inelastic, depending on the circumstances. In an elastic collision, the two balls will bounce off each other with no loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, the balls will stick together after the collision and there will be a loss of kinetic energy. The type of collision depends on factors such as the materials of the balls and the speed and angle of the collision.

5. Can the speed of the croquet balls change after a collision?

Yes, the speed of the croquet balls can change after a collision. This is due to the conservation of momentum and the fact that the speed of the balls can change depending on the angle and force of the collision. The change in speed can also be affected by external forces such as friction and air resistance.