Collision between two balls, determine the speed of other ball

In summary, the problem involves two identical billiard balls colliding at an angle, and the task is to determine the speed of one of the balls. The equation used is 0=mv1sin30- mv2sin60, and the solution is v1=0.087 m/s. The asker also asks for confirmation of the calculation and clarification on the difference between elastic and glancing collisions.
dani123

Homework Statement

This figure shows two identical billiard balls before and after a glancing collision. Determine the speed of the other ball.

module 2 num 4.jpg

Homework Equations

0=mv1sin30- mv2sin60

The Attempt at a Solution

v1= [(0.05m/s)sin60]/(sin(30))= 0.087 m/s

Here I am looking for someone to check my calculations and that I have respected the proper number of significant figures. I was also wondering if anyone could explain to me what the difference is between an elastic collision and a glancing collision? Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
A glancing collision is simply a type of collision where the objects strike at an angle. Elastic and inelastic collisions have to do with the energy and momentum conserved. Your answer looks right to me.

Related to Collision between two balls, determine the speed of other ball

1. How do you determine the speed of a ball after a collision?

The speed of a ball after a collision can be determined using the conservation of momentum principle. This principle states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. Therefore, by measuring the initial momentum of the two balls and the final momentum of one ball, the speed of the other ball can be calculated.

2. What factors affect the speed of a ball after a collision?

The speed of a ball after a collision is affected by several factors, such as the mass and velocity of the two balls, the angle of collision, and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of the elasticity of the collision).

3. Can the speed of a ball after a collision be greater than the initial speed?

Yes, the speed of a ball after a collision can be greater than the initial speed. This can occur if the collision is perfectly elastic, meaning there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision. In this case, the speed of the other ball will be equal to the initial speed of the first ball.

4. How does the angle of collision affect the speed of the balls?

The angle of collision can affect the speed of the balls by changing the direction of the momentum transfer. If the two balls collide at a head-on angle, the momentum will be transferred directly from one ball to the other, resulting in a greater change in speed. However, if the collision occurs at a glancing angle, the momentum transfer will be more oblique, resulting in a smaller change in speed.

5. Are there any limitations to using the conservation of momentum principle to determine the speed of a ball after a collision?

Yes, there are limitations to using the conservation of momentum principle. This principle assumes that there are no external forces acting on the system, and that the collision is perfectly elastic. In real-world scenarios, there may be external forces such as friction or air resistance, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated speed. Additionally, if the collision is not perfectly elastic, there will be a loss of kinetic energy, making it more difficult to determine the speed of the other ball.