Collision between gas molecules with liquid molecules

In summary, when a gas molecule collides with a liquid molecule, they exchange energy and momentum. Depending on the energy of the molecules, the gas molecule may become part of the liquid or bounce back as part of the gas. This process is reversible and is known as evaporation and condensation. The energy of the molecules after the collision determines if a molecule will condense or evaporate.
Entanglement
What happens when a gas molecule collides with a liquid molecule at the microscopic level ?

Physics news on Phys.org
They exchange some energy and momentum. There is a chance either of the molecules or both might have low energy and stick around as part of the liquid. they might also bounce back as part of the gas. The question is too vague to get a more definitive answer.

The question is too vague to get a more definitive answer.[/QUOTE]I'm studying evaporation-condensation equilibrium, I have known that as water is heated some molecules begin to gain enough momentum to overcome the mutual attraction between the water molecules consequently it escapes from the surface of the water and turns to a gaseous state I was wondering how could that action be reversed, I have read that when the water vapor accumulates over the surface of the water some molecules begin to collide with the water molecules and turn back to the liquid state, I don't really understand that last part, I would be so grateful to you If you help! Thanks !

One process - evaporation - is the reverse of the other - condensation. If you understand one than you understand both. If the gas molecule loses enough energy in the collision it sticks and becomes part of the liquid.

dauto said:
One process - evaporation - is the reverse of the other - condensation. If you understand one than you understand both. If the gas molecule loses enough energy in the collision it sticks and becomes part of the liquid.
So when the gas molecule collides with a water molecule the gas molecule may lose some momentum enough to allow it get affected by the water molecules attraction force so it become a liquid again ?

Pretty much but, again, energy - not momentum - is the parameter you should be looking into.

dauto said:
Pretty much
Good, I have one more question. At the collision, as the gas molecule loses energy the liquid molecule will gain energy, can this energy be enough to make it escape from the liquid surface?? Overall, one molecule condenses while an other evaporates

Yes that might happen. Depends on how much energy the molecules have after the collision. If a molecule energy (including potential energy due to attraction by the liquid) is negative than the molecule is bound, otherwise it isn't.

dauto said:
Pretty much but, again, energy - not momentum - is the parameter you should be looking into.
But an decrease in momentum means decrease in kinetic energy, right ?

ElmorshedyDr said:
But an decrease in momentum means decrease in kinetic energy, right ?

Yes, of course. But it is more practical to think about it in terms of energy as my last post explains

Thanks a lot for your help! I'm grateful !

Related to Collision between gas molecules with liquid molecules

1. How does the collision between gas molecules and liquid molecules occur?

The collision between gas molecules and liquid molecules occurs due to the random movements and collisions of the molecules. Gas molecules are constantly in motion and when they come into contact with the liquid molecules, they collide and interact with each other.

2. What happens during a collision between gas molecules and liquid molecules?

During a collision between gas molecules and liquid molecules, the gas molecules transfer energy and momentum to the liquid molecules. This can cause the liquid molecules to vibrate or move faster, leading to an increase in temperature or a change in state.

3. How do the properties of gas molecules and liquid molecules affect their collisions?

The properties of gas molecules and liquid molecules, such as their size, mass, and temperature, can affect the frequency and intensity of their collisions. For example, smaller and lighter gas molecules may collide more frequently with liquid molecules than larger and heavier gas molecules.

4. Can the collision between gas molecules and liquid molecules be controlled?

The collision between gas molecules and liquid molecules is a natural phenomenon and cannot be controlled. However, the conditions in which the molecules are present, such as pressure and temperature, can be manipulated to alter the frequency and intensity of their collisions.

5. What are the applications of studying the collision between gas molecules and liquid molecules?

Studying the collision between gas molecules and liquid molecules is important in understanding various processes such as gas exchange in the human body, chemical reactions, and the behavior of different substances. This knowledge can also be applied in industries such as food and beverage production, pharmaceuticals, and environmental science.