How Does Angular Momentum Conservation Affect Asteroid Collision Dynamics?

Hak said:
By chance, do you have any ideas about this?
If it's not a coincidental set of mistakes that fortuitously cancel (which does happen), then its claims must be justifiable withing the accepted framework. What parts of the argument can you justify given what we painstakingly took the time to discover earlier?

Physics news on Phys.org
erobz said:
If it's not a coincidental set of mistakes that fortuitously cancel (which does happen), then its claims must be justifiable withing the accepted framework. What parts of the argument can you justify given what we painstakingly took the time to discover earlier?
That's what I think (and continue to think) too. I cannot, however, justify his analysis. It seems to me totally different from the considerations we have been dealing with. I would be grateful if someone could help me out.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Actually, it should be $$I_{cm}\approx\frac{2}{5}MR^2\left(1+\frac{7m}{2M}\right).$$Is that what you got? I corrected post #128.
@kuruman I experience two annoying issues.
1) I cannot figure out where this result comes from or what process needs to be used to get it.

In post #138, you say:
kuruman said:
Funny thing, I did too. My corrected exact value for ##\omega## when ##M=9m## is $$\omega =\frac{1}{5}\frac{v}{R}.$$It turns out that no approximation is needed if one uses the simplified moment of inertia in post#128.

(Original expression edited to add missing factor of 5 in the numerator.)
2) I cannot understand what you are referring to when you say there is no need for approximations. To achieve what? At first, I thought it was the angular velocity ##\omega##. Using the expression ##\omega = \frac{L}{I_{cm}}##, and employing the simplified moment of inertia above, I get none of the values of ##\omega## found earlier. What is wrong with this? Could @kuruman, or anyone else, tell me how this assertion should be understood, what it is meant to mean? Thank you very much.

Hak said:
Option 1. relates to which equation?
It can be written as equations in more than one way, but what the author is saying is that the direction of motion of m is initially unchanged, and M's motion can be thought of as the sum of a rotation about its centre and linear motion of its centre (which is always true).
If M's rotation rate is ##\omega## and initial post-collision mass centre velocity is v' then m's velocity is ##v'+R\omega## and we have ##Mv'+m(v'+R\omega)=mv##.

haruspex said:
It can be written as equations in more than one way, but what the author is saying is that the direction of motion of m is initially unchanged, and M's motion can be thought of as the sum of a rotation about its centre and linear motion of its centre (which is always true).
If M's rotation rate is ##\omega## and initial post-collision mass centre velocity is v' then m's velocity is ##v'+R\omega## and we have ##Mv'+m(v'+R\omega)=mv##.
Okay, thank you very much. So, does this mean that my friend's calculations are correct, since the first equation is basically the same?

Hak said:
Okay, thank you very much. So, does this mean that my friend's calculations are correct, since the first equation is basically the same?
Which post?

Btw, in my experience, finding the common mass centre of a composite body is rarely helpful. Usually easier to calculate momenta, moments of inertia etc. separately and then add.

haruspex said:
Which post?

Btw, in my experience, finding the common mass centre of a composite body is rarely helpful. Usually easier to calculate momenta, moments of inertia etc. separately and then add.
Thanks for the advice, but where was the common mass centre of a composite body found? What I am asking is in the last part of post #206. If you can, also look at post #213, there may be an issue there.

Last edited:
lets see if we can make sense of it.
Hak said:
Also, my friend solves the problem in the following way:
##\vdots##
while for conservation of angular momentum it results[tex]mvR=mv'R+m\omega R^2+(2/5)MR^2\omega[/tex] The rotational momentum of the asteroid is zero.
Would you say that this is the diagram that goes along with your friends approach?

1695905912394.png

erobz said:
lets see if we can make sense of it.

Would you say that this is the diagram that goes along with your friends approach?

View attachment 332738
I think so. Is that correct?
P. S. Could I ask you how you made the FBD? It's very nice!

Hak said:
I think so. Is that correct?
Thats what I gather from the equation that is proposed by them for conservation of angular momentum:

$$mvR = m( v' + R \omega_s ) R + \frac{2}{5}MR^2\omega_s $$

How do you solve that for ##\omega_s##? please leave nothing to the imagination.
Hak said:
Thank You. its just PowerPoint.

Hak said:
It's not a free body diagram because it shows no forces. It's just a regular diagram showing a "before" and "after" picture in one.

Likes erobz
erobz said:
Thats what I gather from the equation that is proposed by them for conservation of angular momentum:

$$mvR = m( v' + R \omega_s ) R + \frac{2}{5}MR^2\omega_s $$

How do you solve that for ##\omega_s##? please leave nothing to the imagination.
I did not understand the request. Could you rephrase?

kuruman said:
It's not a free body diagram because it shows no forces. It's just a regular diagram showing a "before" and "after" picture in one.
You are right, sorry. I have a bad habit of calling any kind of diagram FBD...

I'm asking you to solve that for ##\omega_s## in terms of ##v##, like was done in the other approaches.

Hak said:
1) I cannot figure out where this result comes from or what process needs to be used to get it.

In post #138, you say:

2) I cannot understand what you are referring to when you say there is no need for approximations. To achieve what? At first, I thought it was the angular velocity ##\omega##. Using the expression ##\omega = \frac{L}{I_{cm}}##, and employing the simplified moment of inertia above, I get none of the values of ##\omega## found earlier. What is wrong with this? Could @kuruman, or anyone else, tell me how this assertion should be understood, what it is meant to mean? Thank you very much.
Perhaps this request of mine escaped. Could I understand a little more? Thank you very much, I would be grateful.

erobz said:
I'm asking you to solve that for ##\omega_s## in terms of ##v##, like was done in the other approaches.
My result is: ##\omega_s = \frac{5mv}{R (2M+7m)}##, if we consider ##Mv = Mv' + m(v'+ \omega_s R)## as conservation of linear momentum.

Hak said:
The exact expression (start point) is
$$I_{cm}=\frac{2}{5}MR^2+\frac{Mm}{M+m}R^2.$$ The approximate expression (end point) is
$$I_{cm}\approx\frac{2}{5}MR^2\left(1+\frac{\cancel{7}5m}{2M}\right).$$ What did you try when you say you cannot figure out where this result comes from.

Do you understand approximations and how to make them? If you were to go from the start point to the end point when ##m<<M##, what would you do? What is the logical first step to take given what the expressions look like?

Last edited:
kuruman said:
The exact expression (start point) is
$$I_{cm}=\frac{2}{5}MR^2+\frac{Mm}{M+m}R^2.$$ The approximate expression (end point) is
$$I_{cm}\approx\frac{2}{5}MR^2\left(1+\frac{7m}{2M}\right).$$ What did you try when you say you cannot figure out where this result comes from.

Do you understand approximations and how to make them? If you were to go from the start point to the end point when ##m<<M##, what would you do? What is the logical first step to take given what the expressions look like?
I don't understand approximations very well; it's a subject I never dealt with in school. My process was as follows:

To go from the start point to the end point when ##m<<M##, we need to use the approximation ##\frac{Mm}{M+m}\approx\frac{m}{1+\frac{m}{M}}\approx\frac{m}{1}\approx m##. This is because when ##m<<M##, the fraction ##\frac{m}{M}## is very small and can be neglected in the denominator. The logical first step is to apply this approximation to the start point expression and simplify it. This will give us:

$$I_{cm}\approx\frac{2}{5}MR^2+mR^2=\frac{2}{5}MR^2\left(1+\frac{5m}{2M}\right)$$.

Could you help me understand where I'm going wrong? I know for a fact that this procedure is wrong because I did not carry out an expansion.

Hak said:
My result is: ##\omega_s = \frac{5mv}{R (2M+7m)}##, if we consider ##Mv = Mv' + m(v'+ \omega_s R)## as conservation of linear momentum.
Ok, that is also what I conclude. So what is the final expression for the force?

erobz said:
Ok, that is also what I conclude. So what is the final expression for the force?
My friend says ##F = m \omega_s R##, but it's wrong. The correct expression is ##F = m \omega_s d##, where ##d = \frac{M}{M+m}R##, as we have seen.

Hak said:
Could you help me understand where I'm going wrong?
You did nothing wrong. It's my mistake for putting a 7 in place of a 5. Sorry about the confusion.

Hak said:
My friend says ##F = m \omega_s R##, but it's wrong. The correct expression is ##F = m \omega_s d##, where ##d = \frac{M}{M+m}R##, as we have seen.
So, using the equations your friend derives we find that "##\omega_s##" the angular velocity of the sphere about its own center of mass was equal to "## \omega ##" which is the angular velocity of both masses about their common center of mass calculated by other methods previously discussed. Which leads to a clear discrepancy in the calculated force that ##m## feels. A force that your professor ( I presume ) has stated was correctly calculated with ##F = m \omega^2 d##? Does that sum it up?

erobz said:
So, using the equations your friend derives we find that ##\omega_s## the angular velocity of the sphere about its own center of mass was equal to ## \omega ## which the angular velocity of both masses about their common center of mass, Which leads to a clear discrepancy in the calculated forces. A force that your professor ( I presume ) has stated was correctly calculated with ##F = m \omega d^2##
##m\omega d^2## does not have dimensions of force. ##m\omega^2 d## does.

Likes erobz
kuruman said:
You did nothing wrong. It's my mistake for putting a 7 in place of a 5. Sorry about the confusion.
Thank you, that's very comforting to me. Could I know what method you used to arrive at this result? How did you get there through the expansions?

Moreover, you had said that the same result as ##\omega## would be arrived at without preliminary simplifications. By using ##\omega = \frac{L}{I_{cm}}##, with ##I_{cm}## simplified moment of inertia, you arrive at the result ##\omega = \frac{5mMv}{(2M + 5m) R}##, which does not correspond to the correct one. Try redoing the calculations, most likely I am wrong, however, I would like to understand it more. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
erobz said:
So, using the equations your friend derives we find that "##\omega_s##" the angular velocity of the sphere about its own center of mass was equal to "## \omega ##" which is the angular velocity of both masses about their common center of mass calculated by other methods previously discussed. Which leads to a clear discrepancy in the calculated force that ##m## feels. A force that your professor ( I presume ) has stated was correctly calculated with ##F = m \omega^2 d##? Does that sum it up?
Yes. However, I would like to understand why my friend considered ##R## instead of ##d##. How should he introduce it into the analysis, since he has not mentioned it yet? Thanks.

Hak said:
Yes. However, I would like to understand why my friend considered ##R## instead of ##d##. How should he introduce it into the analysis, since he has not mentioned it yet? Thanks.
The interpretation that your friend makes is not correct. @kuruman showed earlier how to conserve angular momentum about the mass center of ##M## using ##R##, but I believe it was also stated by @kuruman that angular momentum is only conserved about the systems center of mass. As far as I can tell your friend gets to the same angular velocity (symbolically), but it is doomed because it is about the wrong center of mass.

erobz said:
The interpretation that your friend makes is not correct. @kuruman showed earlier how to conserve angular momentum about the mass center of ##M## using ##R##, but I believe it was also stated by @kuruman that angular momentum is only conserved about the systems center of mass. As far as I can tell your friend gets to the same angular velocity (symbolically), but it is doomed because it is about the wrong center of mass.
That seems reasonable. However, I would like to ask for confirmation from others as well. Just to make sure.

erobz said:
@kuruman showed earlier how to conserve angular momentum about the mass center of ##M## using ##R##.
Where? I cannot find it.

Hak said:
Where? I cannot find it.
You didn't look. Read though the 238 post prior this from the beginning. They are in there.

Hak said:
... for conservation of angular momentum it results[tex]mvR=mv'R+m\omega R^2+(2/5)MR^2\omega[/tex] The rotational momentum of the asteroid is zero.
So, is this equation wrong? Do you confirm? Thank you.

Hak said:
So, is this equation wrong? Do you confirm? Thank you.
Does it lead to the correct result? Anyhow it doesn't matter what I say, because you are just going to say, "ok, but lets wait for someone else to confirm".

erobz said:
You didn't look. Read though the 238 post prior this from the beginning. They are in there.
Is it in post #178?

erobz said:
Does it lead to the correct result?
Yes, but as you said, it is very likely that the angular momentum is conserved only with respect to the center of mass of the system. So how is it possible that the expression of ##\omega## is correct? I cannot explain how this is possible, while then my friend considers ##R## instead of ##d##. Thank you.

erobz said:
Does it lead to the correct result? Anyhow it doesn't matter what I say, because you are just going to say, "ok, but lets wait for someone else to confirm".
No, I did not explain myself. I don't mean that I would like to wait for someone else to confirm, I simply mean that I am waiting for confirmation from others as well. If many people will say that this option is correct, then it will be reasonable to think that it is. I agree with you, however. Only, I cannot explain these discordances. Sorry if you were offended, that was not my intention.

Hak said:
Yes, but as you said, it is very likely that the angular momentum is conserved only with respect to the center of mass of the system. So how is it possible that the expression of ##\omega## is correct? I cannot explain how this is possible, while then my friend considers ##R## instead of ##d##. Thank you.
My advice... let your professor explain it to them... or you can show them the thread in which it was explained to you?